Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a EAB Cross Country Aircraft?

What is a EAB Cross Country Aircraft?

Read an ad where a guy had his EAB for sale stating he needed a cross country capable aircraft. From my POV his plane was x-country capable. Thought it would be fun and interesting to hear what others see as requirements to qualify as a cross country machine.

Is it: Speed, Range, Endurance, Useful Load, Number of Seats, Cargo Volume, Comfort, Reliability, or Avionics?? Or is just a state of mind of the pilot/owner?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

"
    Is it: Speed, Range, Endurance, Useful Load, Number of Seats, Cargo Volume, Comfort, Reliability, or Avionics?? Or is just a state of mind of the pilot/owner?"

I would have to say....Yes.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I agree with Randy -- all the above. I guess what the seller is getting at is the plane is optimized for cross country flight so it's got good all-round performance for that mission. For example the RV-10 is optimized for X/C flights. The other RV's obviously can all do X/C's, but that's not necessarily their mission sweet spot unlike the -10.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

COMFORT, too. I'd hate to do the five hour legs I've done in the Navion in some other aircraft.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    COMFORT, too. I'd hate to do the five hour legs I've done in the Navion in some other aircraft.
    5 hour legs?!?! Are you wearing Depends? Even 30 years ago (at age 40) my bladder could only withstand max 4 hours.

I was thinking more in terms of its gotta go xxx mph with n hours endurance. Or it has to carry one pax and xx lbs of baggage. Would you prefer to cruise at 250 with an endurance of only 2 hours or cruise at 120-130 for 4 hours? What numbers do you want to see before you consider it a bona fide x country machine ??
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I think each pilot's definition of what is a "cross-country capable" airplane will be different, as has already been demonstrated to a certain extent in this thread. Each pilot needs to figure out what his or her specific mission is, then decide on which airplane fulfills that mission. Do you need a certain amount of payload? Do you have specific leg lengths in mind? Do you need IFR or not? (Yes, some people do cross-country strictly VFR!) Lots of variables, and each person needs to evaluate them all and make the decision based on their own needs and desires. Heck, my Super Cub is cross-country capable! Just need to be patient and enjoy the view!
    Cheers!

Joe

"
    Heck, my Super Cub is cross-country capable! Just need to be patient and enjoy the view! "

As I often tell my tram passengers each year - 'Everywhere at AirVenture is within walking distance.....if you have the time and the energy.' lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I would add that wing loading makes a difference in Xcntry flying because a low loading will "feel" turbulence and really tire a pilot quickly.
    I fly a Pulsar XP with 12psf loading and a Zenith 701 with 8 psf and the difference is very noticeable over desert air in Southwest.

and my rational for owning a slow plane is:
    "fast airplanes are for people who do not like to fly!" That's my rational and I'm sticking to it...until I get my VisionJet!