Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too old to start?

Quote Originally Posted by uncleleon View Post
    Why would anyone hire a commercial pilot in his mid-40's with low hours (no experience) when 21 year old commercial pilots are a dime a dozen?
    Because with age comes (usually) maturity? Because older people don't feel invincible while flying a $500k plane loaded with passengers? Because passengers don't like putting their lives in the hands of someone younger than their kids?

I'll take a mid 40's guy with 200 hours over a 21 year old with 500 hours who knows everything there is to know about flying.

Another route to consider is CFI (add additional letters as required).

The money isn't stellar, but my CFI (Sport, PPL, Instrument, Dual, etc. rated) is doing okay with students and photography flights; one has to schedule a week in advance to take up an hour of his time and he instructs on weekends by hesitant appointment. Since he rents the student the C172 or Champ (and has a CTLS available), he gets a slice of that, too.

Downside is that when the weather is crap he's not making anything if nobody needs ground school or additional instruction that can be done on terra firma.

He started late in aviation as well and found a way to monetize his pilot abilities with his skills as a teacher.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have a slight twist on this having started in aviation (military) as a youngster then leaving to pursue other interests.

Didn't fly for many years but drifting back and have decided at age 50 to get CFI rating and see if that could be my final career. Book study is a challenge, but am confident I can be a successful instructor. I'm not interested in hours building and my "day job" is largely about mentoring so a pretty decent segue right there.

Whatever you choose just have some fun.

I no longer fly commercially at my age. They look askance at me. However, I did for many years. Do not forget the corporate world. A lot of pilots fly corporate aircraft and do a lot of flying in nice aircraft. I found it helpful in corporate aviation to also have an A&P license. When you are not flying the airplane, you can perform the routine maintenance that is required. Then they don't feel like they are being ripped when they pay you for a forty hour week and you only flew for ten hours!