Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool flight simulater

cool flight simulater

http://www.ge-flightsimulator.com/ Here is a cool free flight simulater website I found. You can fly up to 8 planes including a Piper Cub and a Sopwith Camel.

That is pretty cool, but Im really into FSX right now, Its so cool being able to fly the plane im training in, at the airport im training at, talking to virtual ATC

Quote Originally Posted by rturiak View Post
    That is pretty cool, but Im really into FSX right now, Its so cool being able to fly the plane im training in, at the airport im training at, talking to virtual ATC
    Just be sure not to develop bad habits as a result.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    +1

Using a game to learn procedures is ok, but it is still a game and doesn't have the same fidelity as a real aircraft, particularly at the edges of the flight envelope, i.e. stall/spin behavior, which is highly non-linear and not modeled well in the simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Definitely, its still good practice to work on headings with the compass, or do slips for crosswind landings, it gives me a feel of what im going to do, then when im actually in the real airplane, you have a sense of what already needs to be done!

or do slips for crosswind landings
    Actually, FSX is not good for that. X-Plane is a pretty decent choice and would be my recommendation if you're going to practice anything at all. The joke goes that FSX is an airport simulator and X-Plane is a flight simulator although with the most recent release X-Plane has finally caught up in terms of scenery.

The other problem I have seen with "simulator pilots" transitioning to the real world is a tendency to fly "head down" instead of visually. I say this as someone with a LOT of FS and X-Plane time to his credit

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I’ll take FSX any day!

Quote Originally Posted by HighAlt1022 View Post
    I’ll take FSX any day!
    I felt that way until X-Plane 10 came out. Now FSX seems shoddy in comparison with regards to scenery (which was the only thing it had going for it over earlier version of X-Plane). Example:

It has been along time since I did any simulated flying but, has anyone been able to overcome the pixilation problem that makes the ground more fuzzy the closer you get (totally opposite what happens in the real world, and makes a good sim landing more difficult)?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    It has been along time since I did any simulated flying but, has anyone been able to overcome the pixilation problem that makes the ground more fuzzy the closer you get (totally opposite what happens in the real world, and makes a good sim landing more difficult)?
    Yup. How's this?:

...or this:

....or this:
    (and that's with pretty low settings)