Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After the deadline

After the deadline

I have been told that since I have decided to not equip with ADS B out that I will not be able to use my transponder after Jan. 1, 2020. Is this true?

No.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by planecaptain View Post
    I have been told that since I have decided to not equip with ADS B out that I will not be able to use my transponder after Jan. 1, 2020. Is this true?
    The only thing it should affect is your ability to fly within certain airspace. According to 14CFR 91.225, you'll need ADS-B Out to fly:

1. In Class B airspace
    2. Class C airspace
    3. Within a Class B veil (e.g., within 30 miles of the center of Class B airspace.)
    4. Above Class B or C airspace
    5. At or above 10,000 feet MSL, unless you're within 2,500 feet of the ground.

No mention is made for NOT operating transponders if not ADS-B Out equipped.

Ron Wanttaja

You should absolutely continue to use your transponder since it will make you visible to appropriately equipped aircraft.

here is my .02 cents .....in the new "January 2020 issue of AOPA PILOT " starting on page #85 is a good article. On what ,when, were, why ADSB is needed..... ... . good day / rick /............................. quote of the day 'Liquidating Excess Funds Through Aviation"

If you like your transponder, you can keep your transponder.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

In fact, you MUST operate your transponder (if you have one) in controlled airspace.
    The ADSB-required rules apply to what we used to know as the places you HAD to have a transponder/encoder before.
    You should absolutely continue to use your transponder since it will make you visible to appropriately equipped aircraft.

Well, very few aircraft are "appropriate equipped" to see a simple transponder. What it does is make your position and altitude known to ATC radar which then can relay it via the various traffic information services as well as making it available to controllers. Still, you want it on.

The real elephant in the room will be getting the waiver to fly into ADS-B out airspace to verify system operation if and when one chooses to equip their plane after the deadline.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    The real elephant in the room will be getting the waiver to fly into ADS-B out airspace to verify system operation if and when one chooses to equip their plane after the deadline.
    You don't have to fly within ADSB-required airspace, only airspace that has ADSB service coverage which is a much larger area.

Oops forgot the rule airspace requirement was for the rebate. My bad.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun