Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aviation History Made Dec. 10 2019

Banned

Aviation History Made Dec. 10 2019

It was short but ever so sweet. Almost 116 years to the date the Wrights made aviation history so too did a Canadian Turbo Beaver airframe just outside Vancouver, BC.

For the first time in aviation history a commercially scheduled air carrier flew an all-electric airplane. It took off from the Fraser River and flew for only 5 minutes but it ushered in the real significant possibility of electric propulsion commercial air travel.

Harbour Air, an all-seaplane scheduled commercial airline based in Vancouver, BC made the historic flight in a Beaver aircraft mated to a MagniX Magni500 electric motor flown by Harbour Air's CEO Greg McDougall. This current configuration can fly for 60 minutes on a single charge. He said the airline plans to spend the next 2 years getting this electric aircraft certified and approved for commercial flight. After certification, they will concentrate on extending flight time. Harbour Air currently flies to 12 destinations on the West Coast, has a fleet of 53 floatplanes and employs 450 people between BC and Seattle.

News reports are pumping this up, and it's cool, but let's keep it in perspective... it was a test flight of an experimental electric aircraft that happens to be owned by an airline. The reporting I've seen makes it sound like they're ready to start carrying passengers soon, which is not the case.

But it's an interesting application for electric: Harbor Air flies around the islands, lots of short (15 minute) hops, the kind of mission where electric might work, if they can live with the recharge times.

Lots of hope and optimism but found all accounts short on facts. Given HA’s longest flight is about an hour this might be a good business model for commercial electric flight.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/...global-energy/

The research, in this report, see the link, may seem unrelated to electric aircraft and hard to digest as true, but have an open mind, a smart mind would be better.

Turn off the light switch and where all in the dark. Grounded also.

Well I was going to place a link. Why can't I?

OK, looks like the link is in place hope it works.

Jake Speed
    Last edited by Jake Speed; 12-15-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added a link.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Speed View Post
    The research, in this report, may seem unrelated and hard to digest as true, but have an open mind, a smart mind would be better.

Turn off the light switch and where all in the dark. Grounded also.

Well I was going to place a link. Why can't I?

Jake Speed
    I knew there was only one person on this forum currently that would piss all over this and that would be you. WTF is wrong with you? Your light switch has long been off placing you in a very dark place. The rest of us down here on earth know you are far from grounded.

MODERATORS please deal with this drivel, he's proven to be a non contributing pain since he first started posting a couple of months ago. You can look it up.

I'm guessing you misread me?

I started to talk about a report that was put together by reliable Journalists that has absolutely nothing to do with this electric powered aircraft in Canada. But similar.

I could not post the link?

BTW. What do you have against free speech? Or speech you don't like?

Jake Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Speed View Post
    I could not post the link?
    Did you click on the "Link" icon in the Quick Reply toolbar?
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

Replacable batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    News reports are pumping this up, and it's cool, but let's keep it in perspective... it was a test flight of an experimental electric aircraft that happens to be owned by an airline. The reporting I've seen makes it sound like they're ready to start carrying passengers soon, which is not the case.

But it's an interesting application for electric: Harbor Air flies around the islands, lots of short (15 minute) hops, the kind of mission where electric might work, if they can live with the recharge times.
    Instead of fuel tanks, slip out a battery, slip in a new one.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/wind-turbines-are-neither-clean-nor-green-and-they-provide-zero-global-energy/

Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    Did you click on the "Link" icon in the Quick Reply toolbar?
    Scooper,

Thank you for that. I'll try to place the link above in my other Post. I'll place it here also.

My point with the report I'm posting is simple. "Not everything is what it seems."

Jake Speed
    Last edited by Jake Speed; 12-15-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Unfortunately for most green energy solutions, the image is mort important than the science and facts. We’re slowly getting there but it’s not the panacea the greenies want us all to believe.
    As for the HA flight I would be interested to know that change in the Beaver’s empty weight was.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun