Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Harbor Day, Have We Forgotten ?

We are forgetting all of our history.

We do so at our own peril.

It saddens me.

I hope I don't live to see the end result.

Damn shame.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I also recommend Pacific Air Museum... you'll have fun dog fighting a Zero in their simulator... if you yank and bank hard Gs you'll see streamers off the bad guys wing tip... "come here I won't hurt you he he he..."

Wildkitty versus Zero...
    Name:  11Hawaii054.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  83.9 KB

Bullet holes FlyingRon mentioned...
    Name:  11Hawaii069.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  92.6 KB

The museum's A6M2 Zero...
    Name:  11Hawaii044.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  84.4 KB

Their SBD (Slow But Deadly) dive bomber...
    Name:  11Hawaii046.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  88.8 KB

The museum staff is very passionate about their P40E even though we only had the P40B during the attack...
    Name:  11Hawaii067.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  92.9 KB

Ni'ihau Zero story is amazing...
    Name:  08HawaiiTrip099.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  08HawaiiTrip100.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  43.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    We are forgetting all of our history.

We do so at our own peril.

It saddens me.
    It's the way life is.

Without looking it up online, how many people can give the dates for the battle of Belleau Wood? Dewey at Manila? Battle of the Greasy Grass? Shiloh? Chapultepec? Queenston Heights? USS Chesapeake vs. HMS Shannon? Yorktown?

Yet, in the past, people would have been outraged at those who revealed such ignorance.

These events fade into history. They lose their importance, to later generations. We might, today, point at grandfathers or even fathers who took part in WWII campaigns, but that connection fades as time passes. Pretty soon it's just family mythology, about great-great-great-great Uncle Matthew at Gettysburg.

9/11 is seared into most our memories...but note, last year's college freshman hadn't even been born when it happened. It's never going to be as vivid for them.

Not saying this *should* happen, or that these events shouldn't be remembered. It's just not going to be as important for later generations.

Ron "Not one in 10,000 knows your name" Wanttaja

There were still traces left at MCAS Kaneohoe too. There is a small marker where on of the Japanese aircraft crashed. If I recall correctly it was near the BOQ but I left there in 1984.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Larry, that is wonderful stuff, put those pictures on its own topic so more folks here will see them. I have Sakai's book and I read it often. About 30 years ago I was at an airshow in California and got his signature. Pappy Boyningto was there also.
    Not long after I ate dinner with Pappy, just the two of us. At least I ate,I think Pappy liked a liquid diet.

There is a song by a supposed P-38 pilot who is new to combat and the Pacific. The line goes, I'll leave the Zeros to the other heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    There is a song by a supposed P-38 pilot who is new to combat and the Pacific. The line goes, I'll leave the Zeros to the other heroes!
    "I Wanted Wings."

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Larry, that is wonderful stuff, put those pictures on its own topic so more folks here will see them. I have Sakai's book and I read it often. About 30 years ago I was at an airshow in California and got his signature. Pappy Boyningto was there also.
    Not long after I ate dinner with Pappy, just the two of us. At least I ate,I think Pappy liked a liquid diet.
    Bill how about a Aviation Memorabilia thread topic???

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    "I Wanted Wings."

Ron Wanttaja

1. "A generation which ignores history has no past...and no future." Robert Heinlein.
    2. Greasy Grass? Why you must mean that Battle of the Little Big Horn! June 25, 1876 (Which is the day the movie "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is supposed to start.)
    3. I wanted Wings. I had not heard the song before, but I recognized the voice of the artist. A LONG time ago, I played some of his songs when I worked as a radio announcer for my college!

Christopher T. Mayer
    Colonel (ret.), 7th United States Cavalry
    "For Garryowen in Glory"