Thread: Airplane "Goof" in The Irishman

Banned

Airplane "Goof" in The Irishman

Scorcese's "The Irishman" is a tour de force of filmmaking, storytelling and performances by DeNiro, Pesci, and Pacino. An epic true tale of organized crime and Jimmy Hoffa. I highly recommend you find 3.5 hours in your life to watch it.

Scorsese prides himself on getting setting details 100% accurate in his period piece movies. In The Irishman however, there is a major goof in an airport/airplane scene that takes place in 1975. Now remember Scorcese directed "The Aviator" so he knows something about airplanes and aviation. In this 1975 scene, DeNiro enters a Cessna 421 Golden Eagle. As he sits down before take-off we clearly see the instrument panel which contains 2 glass panels(they look like Garmins) within a bunch of steam gauges which of course did not exist in 1975. Furthermore, the tail number is clearly shown as N212RV. A quick lookup states this airplane was manufactured in 1979, a full 4 years after the year of this scene.

Now I know this is just fun for us GA guys(male and female) to see, mock and point out but somebody on the crew should have caught this anachronism.

I noticed that, and I also noticed that the power levers were all closed during "takeoff."

Taree Airport (really) North NSW, Austrlia
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Scorcese directed "The Aviator"
    Not so sure that's really a compelling reason to expect high accuracy?
    Knowing that Howard Hughes tried to get his aviation films as accurate as he could (for the day), when I saw 'The Aviator', there was a certain amount of cringe involved while thinking 'someone (Scorcese it appears) made a film about how obsessed Hughes was with details, but couldn't get basic flying and sound details right in said film!'
    The D-2/XF-11 crash scene was like something out of the Twilight Zone and the casual night flight in the Sikorsky flying boat, with the couple casually chatting next to those two radial engines, caused a giggle.
    I will concede that a lot more work than 'a plastic model on a string' was put into 'The Aviator', but I still wouldn't rate it as one of the best aviation films.