Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waldo Waterman

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Because there are still male pilots?

(ducks and runs for cover behind the tricycle-gear airplane...)
    Ya know, there reached a point where I decided that I could get a car with an automatic transmission, and then, more recently, a red dot sight for my rifle. Like those things, a nose wheel on my plane (e.g., O-2 vs O-1) just makes life easier.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I was always a fan of the Waterman Aerobile since I first caught a glimpse of it jammed in the corner of one of the Garber facility hangars. Fortunately, it's been cleaned up, reassembled, and is now hanging at the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Name:  aerobile.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  102.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    If you are talking about his 1929 model there were tricycle aircraft long before that.
    If y'all go back and re-read Skyranger's original post he does not make any claim that Waterman's aircraft was the first, just that the name came up during his research.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skyranger View Post
    I never heard of the name Waldo Waterman till I researched the first nose wheel airplane and his name came up .
    Ronald Franck, this is Skyrangers OP. I'm positive he says his was the first tricycle gear. Unless of course you're a subscriber to the new national sport of denying what's undeniably in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Ronald Franck, this is Skyrangers OP. I'm positive he says his was the first tricycle gear. Unless of course you're a subscriber to the new national sport of denying what's undeniably in front of you.
    Skyranger's comment could have been worded better, but I don't think his intent was to imply that Waterman was the first.

If I google "President George Washington" and Donald Trump's name is mentioned in one of the hits, that does not mean they are the same person.

Ron "But you never see them both in the room at the same time" Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Skyranger's comment could have been worded better, but I don't think his intent was to imply that Waterman was the first.
    All I know and respond to is what I see written in front of my eyes. You, nor I, nor anyone on the planet can comment on his "intent", meaning his state of mind at the time he wrote the OP.

Furthermore, Skyranger, has not written anything subsequent to his OP or offered up any clarification that would allow you to conclude or think anything different.

Waldo was a very interesting fellow who made many contributions to aviation. He and his aircraft were well known in EAA circles back in the 60's and 70's having joined the Association in 1965. When his name was mentioned at early Oshkosh conventions, almost everyone knew who he was. If you can find one, read Waldo Pioneer Aviator, ISBN: 0-9600736-0-4

Thinly veiled political commentary aside, it is worthy to note that Curtis ‘s nose dragged was also a pusher, and that The succeeding tail draggers were / are tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatejcek View Post
    Thinly veiled political commentary aside, it is worthy to note that Curtis ‘s nose dragged was also a pusher, and that The succeeding tail draggers were / are tractors.
    You'll note that while it has a nose gear, it doesn't have a steerable one. Not really worth the complexity back in its day. It was rather amusing when someone was flying a Curtiss replica into the Udvar-Hazy pilot day. Every time it got to a turn in the taxiway the pilot got out of the seat, went forward and picked up the nose and turned it. I was taxiing just behind. I would have liked to have heard what the conversation in the Dulles control tower was through all this.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You'll note that while it has a nose gear, it doesn't have a steerable one. Not really worth the complexity back in its day. It was rather amusing when someone was flying a Curtiss replica into the Udvar-Hazy pilot day. Every time it got to a turn in the taxiway the pilot got out of the seat, went forward and picked up the nose and turned it. I was taxiing just behind. I would have liked to have heard what the conversation in the Dulles control tower was through all this.
    Pete Bowers had a Curtiss replica at one point. He was not complimentary about the way the airplane flew, and did mention the problems trying to turn on the ground.

This is the most famous picture of Pete flying his Curtiss...

...but there is a better one, of which I sadly just have a bad copy of a newspaper clipping. The 99s were starting their race from Seattle one year, and Pete started the race by flying the Curtiss down the runway.

While wearing a dress.

Ron Wanttaja