Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA suing the SOS Brothers?

I started going to OSH in the early 80's. Back then the SOS Bro's had a house and a couple of RV sites on their property which is now EAA property. I dont recall how EAA took control but if I remember correctly it was heavy handed. Allowing the tent area was part of the deal. Now they want that... Things like this is why I never became a lifetime member, you can't quit being a lifetime member.
    Last edited by gbrasch; 11-28-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

It was heavy handed. The SOS fought Winnebago county tooth and nail. They didn't get anything (other than less cash than it was worth). The current tent is on property they lease from another owner who hasn't been pushed off his land yet by the EAA.

Chiming in for no particular reason than a concern for individual liberty and appreciation for our Association.
    1. I have never been to SOS brothers, but from what I have heard , I think that their operation is a good thing and represents America at its best -- just like EAA is supposed to.
    2. EAA management seems only to be interested in what it perceives as its naming rights (more on this at the end)
    3. It also seems that EAA did try to resolve this outside of legal action prior to taking this step

Out of concern for the final disposition of my immortal soul, I never got a law degree, but if I were involved in this case I would ask:

a. Does EAA have any evidence that persons visiting SOS brothers perceive it as an EAA sponsored activity?
    b. Since - as a previous poster demonstrated -- other activities outside of Oshkosh already use the phrase Beer-Venture -- how does EAA justify this term as implying an association with AirVenture?

That aside, there is a track record regarding trade-mark infringement that if a TM owner does not defend perceived misappropriation it risks losing exclusive rights to that TM. The classic example of this is Bayer pharmaceutical losing their right to the trademark "Aspirin." This is one reason why Disney is so aggressive about real and perceived TM violations. It may look bad for EAA but not taking action early -- and especially after trying other remediation -- can head off real problems later.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I get to OSH / Airventure every 2 - 3 years since the early 80's. I ALWAYS spend some time at SOS. In fact, I park there because the cost is essentially the same but I know I'll end up there after the show and I'll be closer to my car. Good, reasonably priced food, cold beer, fun people to meet. I can't imagine anyone confusing Air Venture with Beer Venture. Based on nothing but assumption, I believe EAA continues to hassle SOS to punish them for holding-out when their family farm was "in the way". I'm a proud 40+ year member of EAA but this is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The complaint specifically mentions bikini wearing girls (women?) serving beer and the EAA's family oriented atmosphere. Given that several of the vendors inside the fence use provocatively dressed women to draw attention to their displays, I think EAA is disingenuous at best around that issue. And since there are beer sales on the EAA grounds...
    You're right Kyle, last year, one of the vendors was selling very light and compact camp chairs for $60.00. The girl that was demonstrating it was very shaply and her shorts and shirt were very, uh, snug. Oh, she was a looker alright, she didn't do anything unlady like and she wasn't wearing a bikini, but hey, we know what sells. I was not offended and if I had been, I would have just not looked, so I don't have a problem with women serving beer and food in bikinis. As far as I'm concerned, the SOS Brothers tent is a nice get a way.
    Bob

Dick K from EAA should read the complaint before commenting that all he's concerned about is protecting the EAA copyrighted material. That way he won't be talking out of both sides of his mouth.
    Anyone here visit the Continental Tire display this year? What about the cute angels selling airpark lots? It's a known fact in the sales industry since the dawn of time - sex sells product.
    Last edited by steve; 11-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Last time I attended OSH was in 2000, the 25th anniversary of Van's aircraft. We were crammed cheek to cheek near the main entrance with all the pedestrians bumping and fingering the displayed RV's. I departed on the second day but had I known about the S.O.S. tent I might have stayed a bit longer.

So....where IS this SOS thing anyway? Perhaps I've driven past the place without it ever registering, but I dunno.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    So....where IS this SOS thing anyway? Perhaps I've driven past the place without it ever registering, but I dunno.
    Walk out the main gate, cut right until you hit W Waukau then walk West. SOS will be on your right, 1/8 mile outside the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Walk out the main gate, cut right until you hit W Waukau then walk West. SOS will be on your right, 1/8 mile outside the fence.
    Ah, that explains my ignorance - I always come and go via my SUV using Waupun Rd and Knapp St. Not worth that much walking on my bum arthritic knees for a beer- lol

On topic, I do agree it is a wee disingenuous for EAA to fret over beer and bikinis, when it has NO problem with beer and Continental Tire lady chesticles. Who'd a thunk that scantily clad lady types would be a consumer draw? (said NO ONE..EVER) lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln