Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA suing the SOS Brothers?

EAA suing the SOS Brothers?

https://fox11online.com/news/local/e...uz63kJZ2dDwlM8

Interesting that one of EAA's reasons for doing this is to "preserve the family values" at the convention. From the same organization that actively encourages alcohol sales at the camp stores and on some flightline locations. There must be better ways for the EAA to spend money other than pursuing this........

DISCLAIMER: I've never been to the SOS brother's tent.......
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

I loved the part about it being an outgrowth of an amicable discussion. Gee, Dick, I hope not to be involved in such amicable discussions.

I find EAA's assertion of "Beer Venture" and the related justifications disingenuous. First, the EAA sold its soul on the alcohol issue when they started selling it first to VIPs and then the general public. The latter has caused no end of troubles on the grounds.
    Second, the attempt to register Beer Venture, was done not because they were using it in commerce (an explicit requirement to get trademark rights), but with the specific goal of interfering with SOS's already use of the term.
    The dilution argument is specious as well.

I don't see why EAA can't play well with others on this. Airventure should be a financial win for everyone in and around Oshkosh. The SOS folks have found a niche EAA doesn't want to play in (i.e. reasonably priced food and beer, available from morning to midnight), and instead of competing, EAA brings lawyers in?

C'mon guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I don't see why EAA can't play well with others on this. Airventure should be a financial win for everyone in and around Oshkosh. The SOS folks have found a niche EAA doesn't want to play in (i.e. reasonably priced food and beer, available from morning to midnight), and instead of competing, EAA brings lawyers in?

C'mon guys...
    From everything I've read, they are not trying to shut down the SOS brothers, just don't want them using EAA type logo's and branding. They were still doing this up through last year, even though they had told EAA they would stop.

I never associate beer venture with air venture. Been going to OshKosh for over 25 years. It’s just becoming a pissing match that my dues are paying for. Search the word beer venture is used a lot around this country by a lot of micro breweries even in my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    From everything I've read, they are not trying to shut down the SOS brothers, just don't want them using EAA type logo's and branding. They were still doing this up through last year, even though they had told EAA they would stop.
    I've been at the SOS tent dozens of times and just looked at all of my pictures from that property. I couldn't find a single example of EAA logos being used. Now, if EAA takes exception to the Beer Venture moniker, that's a problem of hyper sensitivity, IMO.

Hey EAA if you’re reading this thread you are coming off as petty and hypocritical. SOS bro’s doesn’t interfere with family values any more than other activities that happen across the venue.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 11-28-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I've attached the EAA complaint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well in the video there is a guy wearing essentially a reversed image of the trademarked EAA swoosh. There can be a argument made that there is a violation for commercial impression similarity. I don’t think they’re gonna win on the BeerVenture as it’s not unique to the show. After all, EAA coined AirVenture because they couldn’t trademark Oshkosh.

I don’t think it’s a big secret that the holdouts surrounded by the EAA grounds have been a thorn in EAA’s side for nearly 50 years.

I too have never been to the SOS tent. Why? I’m lucky if I’m halfway to my truck when I pass it.

I also get that EAA wants to control the image of the event and extract as much revenue as possible. As a member I want EAA/AirVenture to be financially successful. I’m gonna take a wait and see position till more info becomes available.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I just skimmed the complaint.

Pitiful. Whether EAA wins in court or obtains a settlement, this is an over-reach by the EAA. I'm extremely disappointed that they are so <I don't like this word> greedy that they would try to suck the air out of a business which has found a way to offer a legal, legitimate product that EAA does not offer.