Thread: Spot repair for peeling/flaking paint?

Spot repair for peeling/flaking paint?

I'm buying an airplane that needs a paint job, but is otherwise solid. It has the original paint from the 70s and its starting to peel/flake off, especially on the wings. My plan is to do a full strip and paint, but I cannot comfortably afford this immediately after purchasing the plane.

Because available hangars don't exist in my location, I will be tying the plane outside. So I am looking for a "cheap fix" that will protect the plane from corrosion until I get it painted (probably in 12-24 months). I'm thinking just sanding it down and spraying it with rattle cans in the spots where it is peeling.

What kind of paint and primer should I consider for this job? Are there any special concerns for painting the plane?
    It is a Grumman AA1C, and I will not be painting any control surfaces, so it qualifies a maintenance although it is certificated.
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320

Back when I was based at Potomac Airpark, you could often find the airport manager out there with a couple of rattle cans of green rustoleum touching up his airplane. I hear he finally had it professionally repainted.

Yep, as long as it's not a control surface that needs rebalancing, it's allowable owner maintenance. You do need to log it properly however.

Alclad aluminum has good corrosion resistance without paint. If appearance is not offensive I'd just make sure there was no corrosion under the paint and leave it alone.

I wouldn't be so quick to "scratch it up."

I would buy some self etching primer for aluminum.

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co, will have this stuff in aerosol cans.

They will also make suggestions with your repaint project when the time comes.

Jake Speed

I wouldn't be so quick to "scratch it up."

Specifically, you need to be careful with what abrasives you use on aluminum. You can actually CAUSE more corrosion than you are preventing.

If I don't have to worry about corrosion I am not too worried about it.

As much as I would like to repaint the plane, I bought this plane to fly, so anything that reduces my flying time and does not risk long term damage will be put off until I can obtain my CSEL and CFI.
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320

Whatever you opt to do, DO NOT SAND the aluminum surfaces. Too many bad things can happen including, but not necessarily limited to: thinning the skin to the point where it could lead to structural failure; removing the Alclad surface coating of corrosion resistant pure aluminum in patches exposing the not so resistant aluminum alloy that it covers promoting corrosion; accidentally thinning rivet heads weakening the structure.