Thread: Eliminate KingPost on MX 1

Eliminate KingPost on MX 1

HI: I have a Quicksilver MX1 and would like to remove the kingpost and put in struts. I would use aluminum struts from the seat area to the wings.. Ideas? Advise THANKS

Quicksilver made a strut based version, you could copy that, but it was heavier and less rigid. The only good reason to go with struts is if the kingpost won't clear your hangar door.

Thanks Dana: It will not clear the door.

Gotcha. I would suggest contacting the guys at Tri-State Kites. They were Quicksilver dealers back in the day and Mark Smith was the guru of all things Quicksilver. Mark is gone now but the business isn't, and if anybody would be able to tell you what you need they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineries Air View Post
    It will not clear the door.
    If converting the thing to struts is impossible, there is a way to still use the hangar. Not super convenient, but would make the hangar work. Put "trailering" wires on it from Tri-State. Then pull the tail each time you put it away. Without the tail on, you can tilt it back enough to get the king post under the door cross bar. Will make the hangar work in a pinch. Then put a sandbag in the seat to keep it on the wheels while in the hangar. Could make the hangar work in a pinch. I've done it.