Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dumb question of the day

The first Otto Lilienthal hang gliding meet in 1971 was held at a secret location disclosed only to the competitors at the last minute, because the FAA had said (this was long before Part 103) they would charge anybody who got even inches into the air in an unregistered aircraft, or without a pilot certificate.

Now this is getting fun. If the original poster wants something 4 engined and warbird-like, there is the 1/3 scale B-17 that came to AirVenture year before last!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That's certainly not true. Gliders under tow (either ground or aero) and tethered balloons are fully under FAA regulation and the pilot and the aircraft airworthiness regs must be met. A kite or a moored balloon (one tied down but UNMANNED) does not.
    Reminds me of this Gahan Wilson cartoon.....

RIP....

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Now this is getting fun. If the original poster wants something 4 engined and warbird-like, there is the 1/3 scale B-17 that came to AirVenture year before last!
    The "Bally Bomber" was for sale last year, about 200 large.

Wow, how many racing boats that end up doing aerobatics, and race cars flying through the air, then there are the moto cross guys flying motor cycles, and the ones that jump cars and motorcycles over buses and the like. Have they been charged for flying?

This is moving into troll territory.....

Best of luck,

Wes

I think that would be defined as falling vs flying. Jumping off a building or a cliff does not make you an airman. I believe the operative word would be sustained flight.
    Interesting that no one has discussed a wing in ground effect craft. The FAA seems to have taken a hands off approach and not really sure anyone in the US is actively pursuing. Guess they are only viable over large flat surfaces.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Yep, hovercraft and ground effect vehicles aren't aircraft. I pointed this out in my first post in this thread.

It doesn't take "sustained" flight either. The FAA covers parachuting in which you don't so much fly as plummet (at least not until the chute is deployed). They don't cover bungie jumping however.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    This is moving into troll territory.....

Best of luck,

Wes
    My gosh when ever logic enters a discussion its a troll. Just wow.
    Yeah fun not allowed right?