Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop Strike for Cont Engine

Ron your logic may have worked with cell phones, but it was really stupid of me to discontinue the Cub hull ins. It cost thousands to repair the damage, and we haven't even gotten to the engine yet. The flip over was the same year as stopping the ins. And even dumber was not just going to buy tie down chains, which I thought about, literally would have been $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Ron your logic may have worked with cell phones, but it was really stupid of me to discontinue the Cub hull ins. It cost thousands to repair the damage, and we haven't even gotten to the engine yet. The flip over was the same year as stopping the ins. And even dumber was not just going to buy tie down chains, which I thought about, literally would have been $25.
    It really depends on how long you owned the aircraft, and how long you *didn't* spend money on the hull insurance.

I don't have hull on my Fly Baby. But if the worst happens, I can sublet my hangar for two years and earn the value of the plane back.....

Hindsight is always 20/20. Probably few folks check the tiedown ropes. I learned my lesson back when I was flying the (starterless) Fly Baby prototype. It had a glider hook on the tail, and I'd loop a tiedown rope around it to start. But I'd pull test the rope first...and was surprised at how often they'd break at a single tug. Carried a hank of rope in the airplane and would cut off some to use when necessary.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-06-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Just as a datapoint--my hangar is located in tornado alley. I carry GNIM (ground not in motion) policies on my aircraft which are not much more costly than liability-only. This covers the hull until the aircraft begins moving under its own power. If the hangar gets blown away I have full hull coverage for very little cost.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log