Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me Find This Bolt!!

Help me Find This Bolt!!

Friends of Flight! Can any of you source this bolt with the head logo shown? It’s been awhile since I measured it, but as I recall , it’s a 1/4 x 28 tpi. I can offer more specifics if someone responds that they have one or two in an old coffee can. They are circa early to mid ‘60’s.
    THANK YOU in advance for ANY help/ advice offered!
    Best!!
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pistachiobob; 10-21-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Make title more visible

Somebody more knowledgable than me may chime in, but until then... it looks like an ordinary AN4 bolt to me. Pretty garden variety stuff available anywhere. Do you need one with the exact head marking as this one? Head markings vary between manufacturers and this one looks older.

Does the threaded portion have a hole drilled through it? Hard to tell from the photo, but I don't see one and you'd expect it to have a hole since it is mated to a castle nut.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by pistachiobob View Post
    Friends of Flight! Can any of you source this bolt with the head logo shown?
    Nothing magic. See:

http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ra/hardware.html

second one down on the left - standard AN steel bolt.

Yeah , knot sure why you're trying to match the head of the bolt ...

Write to the ARMY or NAVY (A/N) to sea if they can give you a revision number to update your hardware .
    Gotta cross those eyes and dot those T's...
    They are having a SALE on Red Tape...

Gotta Fly...

Folks: THANK YOU very much for responding for my request! Yes, I know it is a AN 4 bolt by design, BUT I do, in fact, need at least ONE with the EXACT head logo. I am restoring an American 60’s sports car for a fellow, and the car maker took advantage of as many surplus military fasteners as possible. Obviously, that was wise financially and structurally, because the fasteners were sold by the pound, and were very high quality. This particular AN4 Bolt is one of four used to attach the front bumper to the car. Unfortunately, one is missing, so this answers why I’m looking for an old aircraft quality bolt. There is no hole drilled in the head or the threaded shaft. I found the link provided by one responder very interesting! Although the link did not source the bolt, it at least confirmed it to be made for aircraft application. I hope this clarifies why I’m searching for this single item. The bolt appears to be cadmium plated. Any additional help would sure be appreciated! Best!! Bob

Is there any reason you can't replace all 4 of the bolts with new AN4 bolts that have the same head marking?

with a little Molding....use the head ...make a mold of it .epoxy it on the odd bolt ...passes the eye

better yet ...

Warm the bolt ... push it into wax....for the mold ....remove.

Use "High Temp" silicone....put a tiny bit in the mold .

Put the Blank/oddball bolt into the mold , let set for 24 hrs

You now have a VULCANIZED RUBBER BOND

Gotta Fly...
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 10-26-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNelson View Post
    Is there any reason you can't replace all 4 of the bolts with new AN4 bolts that have the same head marking?
    I suspect he's trying to get the original-style bolts on the car he's restoring. Will get docked points at car shows if it's unoriginal.

Ron Wanttaja

Folks, Ron is correct. In the car world, originality is King! I know it’s different with planes; you replace everything over time, except for the frame and skin, I assume. It’s interesting that out of over 3700 views, no one could apparently source of of these bolts. There has to a tricycle out there somewhere with one of these dad put on to keep the fender in place!
    Thanks to those of you who took time to respond!!
    Best, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pistachiobob View Post
    Folks, Ron is correct. In the car world, originality is King! I know it’s different with planes; you replace everything over time, except for the frame and skin, I assume. It’s interesting that out of over 3700 views, no one could apparently source of of these bolts. There has to a tricycle out there somewhere with one of these dad put on to keep the fender in place!
    Thanks to those of you who took time to respond!!
    Best, Bob
    No need to keep the frame or skins intact on an airplane. As long as the data plate is intact! And I'm sure you're right, you just need to find that tricycle. I think those are just vintage military surplus bolts, but it's unlikely you'll find a cache of them for sale now. I'm sure tens of thousands still exist, but likely all buried in old airplanes or the occasional car bumper or tricycle.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.