Thread: Ultralight engines?

Ultralight engines?

Rotax 447 and 503 engines seem to have disappeared.

What might be a good (and inexpensive) replacement?

Preferably geared reduction.

How about a Hirth? Not necessarily inexpensive, but good engines with long TBOs. Here's one source: http://www.recpower.com/3203%202%20cycle%2065hp.htm I seriously considered buying a Challenger with one of these instead of a Rotax.

Hirths have long quoted TBOs, but everybody I know who has flown one has not been happy, and all went back to Rotax. Rebuilt Rotaxes and parts are still readily available, though the prices seem to be going up.

Quote Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
    Rotax 447 and 503 engines seem to have disappeared.

What might be a good (and inexpensive) replacement?

Preferably geared reduction.
    This is one of those situations where you might find a good engine, or an inexpensive engine.....but most likely not a good, inexpensive engine....
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

A friend has an HKS engine on his Thunder Gull and is very satisfied with it.

He recently went up against the big boys at the STOL DRAGS at Dead Cow Dry Lake north of RENO.

He beat 5 of six planes he went up against. This included a Cessna 180 and 182 and super Cub. He was 17th over all just missing the cut of 16.

John M

Quote Originally Posted by DSloss1 View Post
    How about a Hirth? Not necessarily inexpensive, but good engines with long TBOs. Here's one source: http://www.recpower.com/3203%202%20cycle%2065hp.htm I seriously considered buying a Challenger with one of these instead of a Rotax.

Way too heavy...

Weight:

79 lbs-fan cooled including electric start and exhaust.
    Optional gearbox adds 19 lbs.
    98 pounds?

Has anyone tried the 4 stroke helvenco/ swissauto250 (aero version), Blackhawk paramotors imports them as interuder 250, on a part 103 ultralight? I’m rebuilding a kolb firestar, early single seat, and was looking at engines... light ones that might work. Polini Thor 250 ds, simonini victor. Any ideas? The helvenco is 4 stroke, 36hp, water cooled, EFI, and weights 69lb with oil and water.