Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Project

Next Project

So I’m starting to look for my next project and would like y’alls advice. I want something fun to build and fly around the local area (no x/c capability necessary as my RV-10 handles that mission in spades). So here’s my criteria:
    - day VFR
    - 2 seats, configuration doesn’t matter
    - high or bi-wing
    - little or no welding required (at least by me)

I’ve done considerable research on the Pietenpol and l like it a lot as it fills all my squares. However being an RV guy I’m just not that knowledgeable about other makes/models that might be good candidates for me to consider. To be clear I’m not simply asking for a list of planes that fits my criteria— I can do that myself. I’m looking for opinions from builders/ owners that goes beyond a simple list. Thanks in advance!
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

BI-PLANE PROJECT• $19,900 • Modified Murphy Renegade bi-plane project. Well beyond the quick build stage, including engine, for less than new quick build kit. Modified to accept 120 hp engine. All mods approved by designer. 90% done. (Assembled & Rigged). Can be finished as 1 or 2 place. Needs wiring, instruments/avionics, cowling, covering and paint. I have some instruments but not all. Nav/strobe lights, Jabiru 3300A, 120 hp engine, 250 hrs TTSN. Sensenich prop. I have built 8 amateur-built aircraft, several of which were award winners. I have too many projects and can't seem to find time for this one. Easily meets all LSA parameters.
    Pictures on request.....Mel Asberry, Tech Counselor, Flt Advisor, DAR •
    Farmersville, TX USA • Telephone: 972-784-7544 • <rvmel(at)icloud.com>
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    BI-PLANE PROJECT• $19,900 • Modified Murphy Renegade bi-plane project. Well beyond the quick build stage, including engine, for less than new quick build kit. Modified to accept 120 hp engine. All mods approved by designer. 90% done. (Assembled & Rigged). Can be finished as 1 or 2 place. Needs wiring, instruments/avionics, cowling, covering and paint. I have some instruments but not all. Nav/strobe lights, Jabiru 3300A, 120 hp engine, 250 hrs TTSN. Sensenich prop. I have built 8 amateur-built aircraft, several of which were award winners. I have too many projects and can't seem to find time for this one. Easily meets all LSA parameters.
    Pictures on request.....Mel Asberry, Tech Counselor, Flt Advisor, DAR •
    Farmersville, TX USA • Telephone: 972-784-7544 • <rvmel(at)icloud.com>
    Mel, I appreciate the post and you need no introduction or bona fides as I frequent VAF. Unfortunately I’m not ready to pull the trigger on a project as I’m in the research phase and I don’t want a partially completed kit. This time the building journey will be just as important as the completed plane which was not the case with my slow-build RV-10 where building was much more simply a means to an end.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

No Problem. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    So I’m starting to look for my next project

I’ve done considerable research on the Pietenpol and l like it a lot as it fills all my squares. !
    Good Choice...
    One thing to also consider... a re-build... Something flying that could use a good going over.
    That will be my thoughts after I finish my second plane ( Kolb Firestar II and Wittman Buttercup )

All the parts are already there...and you'll get the repairman's cert...

Gotta Fly...

Todd, I can sell you an Aeronca project, a set of Hatz plans with some wing ribs and most of the center section parts, and/or a set of Piet plans. Unless I already sold the Piet plans.

FYI, I forget where, but someone posted an ad about a couple of nice Hatz projects in Texas recently.

Personally, I think the Piet would be a bit tight for you and the bride. Given where you live, you might think about a Breezy.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazzzy View Post
    Good Choice...
    One thing to also consider... a re-build... Something flying that could use a good going over.
    That will be my thoughts after I finish my second plane ( Kolb Firestar II and Wittman Buttercup )

Gotta Fly...
    Only one Repairman's Certificate can be issued per E-AB aircraft----it is issued to a particular individual and is not transferable.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazzzy View Post
    Good Choice...

Gotta Fly...
    Nope. As I posted above, I have zero interest in taking over someone else's project and that includes a rebuild of an already flying aircraft. I will look into the Firestar and Buttercup to see if they fill my squares compared to the Piet.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Todd, I can sell you an Aeronca project, a set of Hatz plans with some wing ribs and most of the center section parts, and/or a set of Piet plans. Unless I already sold the Piet plans.

FYI, I forget where, but someone posted an ad about a couple of nice Hatz projects in Texas recently.

Personally, I think the Piet would be a bit tight for you and the bride. Given where you live, you might think about a Breezy.
    Kyle, we spent a lot of time pouring over the Piets at this year's Osh and talked at some length to William Wynne (Piet and Corvair engine guru) and I'm not concerned about the Aircamper's dimensions. Having said that, I have the luxury of time to do my due diligence and see what else might be better than the Piet as a project. What are your thoughts on the Hatz as far as building and flying?
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Todd,

I looked at Piets and several others as well. I needed to stay LSA, so the full size Hatz was out, and the LSA version was just too new for me. Plus, I wasn't welding nor shelling out $15K for a pre-welded fuselage. I liked the Piet, but really wanted a biplane. I eventually settled on a Fisher Celebrity. All wood, LSA, 2-holer although I'm told the front cockpit is only for small adults or kids. Pretty wide range of engine choices, and can be plans built or you can order a kit or partial kits. My progress has been slow due to competing interests and projects, but I'll finish it some day.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.