Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement wing sails

Replacement wing sails

So looking at all the older ultralights and have found several that the companies are no longer in business. What do you do when you have an older plane that needs new sails and the company is no longer around? I found a complete intact Birdman Chinook WT 11 but would be leery of the old wing sails. I haven't found anyone that makes sails for this model, so what do you do?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Banned
    If you believe you have exhausted all avenues in researching sources for these sails and found none exist, then DON'T BUY IT. That's what you do!

Banned
    A very easy and very, very quick google search tells me you have not come close to exhausting your search.

The Aeroplane Manufactory in Seely, Texas has been manufacturing Chinooks since 2013.

aeroplanemanufactory.com
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 10-11-2019 at 03:50 PM.

You could always do a conventional cover job, with light fabric and latex paint.

Ron Wanttaja

There's a guy up the road from me that will make sails for any ultralight. He used to advertise in Barnstormers.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    You could always do a conventional cover job, with light fabric and latex paint.

Ron Wanttaja
    I did think of doing that but I don't know what the spar structure is inside the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    A very easy and very, very quick google search tells me you have not come close to exhausting your search.

The Aeroplane Manufactory in Seely, Texas has been manufacturing Chinooks since 2013.

aeroplanemanufactory.com
    I emailed them and was td the WT 11 was prior to the Chinook 2s so they do not make the wing sails for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If you believe you have exhausted all avenues in researching sources for these sails and found none exist, then DON'T BUY IT. That's what you do!
    Thanks for this information. I really want this bird she is gorgeous just the sails are older.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rladwig View Post
    I really want this bird she is gorgeous just the sails are older.
    Well then, at least you'll have one less thing to be concerned about-- what to write as your epitaph.

If it has sails and they aren't stretched out or malformed in any way, someone may be able to cut them apart to pattern and sew a new set for you. The hard part would probably be finding someone willing to touch that project for liability concerns.