Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built or flown a Dream Classic?

Built or flown a Dream Classic?

Has anyone on the list built or flown a Dream Classic from Airdrome? I'm looking for independent opinions of the design as a flyer (control characteristics etc.) and also about the quality of the kit. I'm interested in perhaps purchasing the kit -- although the website seems old and out-of-date, and the recommended engines are no longer made.

So, anyone have personal knowledge of the machine? -- Or of the current status of the company?

Bob

Banned
    With respect to the status of the company, the website certainly makes it appear to be alive and well. When you click on the Dream Classic, there are photos, videos, a spec sheet and order forms.

Contacting the company would seem to be the right and easiest thing to do for info. They can possibly also give you the contact info of customers who own these machines to receive opinions.

I'd be interested to know how many Dream Classics they have sold or how many are flying. Never see or hear anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soarmaster View Post
    Has anyone on the list built or flown a Dream Classic from Airdrome? I'm looking for independent opinions of the design as a flyer (control characteristics etc.) and also about the quality of the kit. I'm interested in perhaps purchasing the kit -- although the website seems old and out-of-date, and the recommended engines are no longer made.

So, anyone have personal knowledge of the machine? -- Or of the current status of the company?

Bob
    I have no experience with a Dream Classic but do have first-hand knowledge of similar aircraft and Airdrome Aeroplanes.

I presently fly an Airdrome Fokker D.VII which I built from their kit. The kit is primarily a materials kit but is well-supported by Robert Baslee the designer and owner of the company. Construction is simple and easy to accomplish with basic tools. A call to Robert will provide a ton of details about the aircraft and its construction, he is very willing to share information.

I also built and flew a Legal Eagle whose flying characteristics should be similar to the Dream. Any Part 103 aircraft is going to feel like flying a feather compared to heavier aircraft. These aircraft are best suited to calm air, turbulence is more work than it is worth. I suspect control characteristics will be similar to the Eagle and D.VII which have adequate aileron authority, good pitch stability and good harmony....if you know what the rudders pedals are for. In other words....flies like a very light aircraft.

The biggest decision with the Dream will be deciding which engine to use, choices are very limited if you wish to stay within Part 103. Do your homework, and best wishes for an enjoyable project!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 10-12-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post

I also built and flew a Legal Eagle.
    Sam, what became of the Legal Eagle?

Bob (soarmaster)

From Sam Buchanan,

"The biggest decision with the Dream will be deciding which engine to use, choices are very limited if you wish to stay within Part 103. Do your homework, and best wishes for an enjoyable project!"

Thanks for the feedback about Airdrome. YES, I'm currently researching all the currently available suitable engines out there. I'm doing this via the internet of course. I'm most attracted to the Pollini Thor 250, liquid cooled. As it is being used in the Badlands 103 compliant KitFox. I realize that part of my project will be to evolve an engine mount for whatever engine I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Sam, what became of the Legal Eagle?
    Kyle, it was sold to make room for the D.VII. Pilot that bought it has quite a bit of flying experience (F-4, top of class in Test Pilot School, SR-71, five shuttle missions....). He really enjoyed it.

I think it changed hands again, I've lost track of it since there is no paperwork trail.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Bob (soarmaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    With respect to the status of the company, the website certainly makes it appear to be alive and well. When you click on the Dream Classic, there are photos, videos, a spec sheet and order fom.
    well, my impression came from the dates at the bottom of the pages -- the most recent being 2011. 8 years is a long time to leave a business website static.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soarmaster View Post
    well, my impression came from the dates at the bottom of the pages -- the most recent being 2011. 8 years is a long time to leave a business website static.
    He obviously places greater importance and emphasis on selling, manufacturing and shipping kits than even updating the site with a simple "copywrite 2019". He probably feels that the info on the site is more than sufficient to provide info for potential and current customers and is as applicable today as it was in 2011. Also, from what I've read on this forum from posters providing building logs, the company owner has a stellar reputation.

The Dream Classic is kit only?
    Or are there plans for scratch builders?

@ Soarmaster?

Which would your prefer?
    Struts or wires?