Thread: For Sale, Tailbeacon

For Sale, Tailbeacon

The avionics shop at Denver Metro has a Uavonics tailbeacon that they ordered for me and is now extra. You'd buy it from them and it seems to be the cheapest and quickest way to meet the ADS-B mandate. They can do the installation which seems simple but there is paperwork and testing involved also. I think retail price is about $2000, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    The avionics shop at Denver Metro has a Uavonics tailbeacon that they ordered for me and is now extra. You'd buy it from them and it seems to be the cheapest and quickest way to meet the ADS-B mandate. They can do the installation which seems simple but there is paperwork and testing involved also. I think retail price is about $2000, not sure.
    I have zero need for it, but I'm curious...how did it end up extra for you?

If I owned an airplane I'd be tempted - these and the wingtip units seem like the easiest way to get ADSB compliant.
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I have zero need for it, but I'm curious...how did it end up extra for you?

If I owned an airplane I'd be tempted - these and the wingtip units seem like the easiest way to get ADSB compliant.
    I installed a wingtip unit on my Fly Baby in August. Four-five hours to deliver power to the wingtip the way I wanted to, fifteen minutes to actually install the Skybeacon. Worked fine, passed my test on the first flight.

Could have been a lot faster install if I hadn't wanted to hook the ADS-B to the existing avionics bus (avionics scooter, really) and install a switch for it on the panel. Required removing the forward top of the fuselage to get to the 'lectrics behind the panel.

Chapter mate had a few more problems with his. I believe he installed it INTERNALLY in his wood airplane, and it needed a bit more tweaking. The Uavionix folks helped a lot.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 10-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Back when there was such red tape over whether they were ever going to get approval, I got on the wait list at both places and both filled the order. The wing tip light unit wont work on my plane, We'll see about the tail unit shop says it is several hours not just 15 min, to get it all working.