Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Collings B-17 Mishap

FAA has rescinded Collings’ authorization to fly any of it’s aircraft. Note that this is an FAA ruling on the educational flight authorization, not the full NTSB report on the accident.
    Link to Hartford Courant article.
    Link to FAA report

It’s brutal to Collings’ lack of following procedures, and flying with obvious maintenance issues.
    I know EAA has a different safety culture in our historic flight operations. I just hope Collings’ bad practices don’t reflect on the others who are flying safely.

About 20 years ago Collings brought their B-17 & 24 tour to BDL, and they operated out of the FBO that was in the same building as the FSDO. Those planes were grounded for months following inspections.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 03-26-2020 at 07:26 AM.

NTSB hasn't yet ruled on it (and I can't find anything in the online docket system). I did read through the FAA Recission letter (not really a report). Frankly, I don't disagree with the FAA on this one. This isn't the first time Collings has had a run-in with the FAA (though that one went up to the ALJ at the NTSB and the FAA was mostly struck down).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I just hope Collings’ bad practices don’t reflect on the others who are flying safely.
    I hope you are correct on this and I think you will be. The Warbird industry can fix. Also I should add that some of the current Warbirds flying are in better condition than they ever were during the war.

I got to know Mac while machining parts to fix Nine 0 Nine's bomb bay doors... he had flown for the Collings for 20 years and was the highest time
    B17 pilot in the USA with over 7,300 hours... He was also the Safety Officer for the foundation...

If Mac rolled on a engine that didn't pass mag check then even he would call negligence... if Mac rolled on a engine that passed mag check then why wouldn't he expect full power???

what does "rolled on an enginne" mean in ENGLISH?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    what does "rolled on an enginne" mean in ENGLISH?
    In this context, he's contemplating the observed condition of the engine when the pilot rolled (started a takeoff run).

A mag-check only tells you the functioning of the ignition at the time you perform it. You don't need to be flying something as esoteric as a B-17 engine. Plugs load up, mag coils break down with heat, etc...

Anyhow, this action is NOT about the specific condition or causes of the 909 crash.

It is a pretty damning report all in all. It will not be comforting to the family members of those who died. Ron, it looks to me that the recission was very much about the specific condition of 909 at the time of the crash, as well as a general poor safety culture at Collings.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

That's tough to read. And not my impression of Collings and I have actually flown 909 years back. One good safety procedure is when one man completes a repair a 2nd one must also check the work.

We talk now, but how many of us would have turned down a seat that day.?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-31-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    We talk now, but how many of us would have turned down a seat that day.?
    Probably would have if it was free. But that is exactly the point. The public (even informed people like us) are unable or unwilling to do the proper due diligence to determine what the risk is.