Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Collings B-17 Mishap

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Probably would have if it was free. But that is exactly the point. The public (even informed people like us) are unable or unwilling to do the proper due diligence to determine what the risk is.
    I gladly bought a TriMotor ride at AirVenture 2018 - I got on board of my own free will 'assuming' (and yes I know what that means) that NO crew in their right mind would operate an airplane they knew was not properly maintained in critical areas....you know, like engines and such. I have faith - and at day's end that's all any of us laypeople can have - that the EAA maintains their aircraft as well as anyone in the world.

    Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what other "due diligence" a paying passenger on any airplane ride can do? Even on a commercial airliner.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,575
    How would you do due dillegence? If you were at the plane when it was being serviced you might but you were not going to climb a ladder to look over someones shoulder, and if you asked around don't think you'd hear negatives. Plenty of people lining up to go at $400, just like full tri motor rides

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,575
    I rode on a tram and had no idea how far past TBO the jokes were going to be.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    How would you do due dillegence? If you were at the plane when it was being serviced you might but you were not going to climb a ladder to look over someones shoulder, and if you asked around don't think you'd hear negatives. Plenty of people lining up to go at $400, just like full tri motor rides
    Your due dilligence is "That airplane has flown safely for 70 years and the pilot not much less. The pilot say it is good to go and he'll be the first one at the scene of the accident. There aren't huge puddles of fluid under the thing and all the parts seem to be there."

    So, kick the tires, light the fires, and let's go.

    Kind of like an airline flight. You're pretty much depending on people with professional credentials to perform their roles properly.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I rode on a tram and had no idea how far past TBO the jokes were going to be.
    I tell the jokes and give you my personal GUARANTEE they were all beyond obsolete when Eisenhower was our President. They have NOT aged like fine wines....more like milk.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

  6. #46
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC26 (Catawba, NC)
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I gladly bought a TriMotor ride at AirVenture 2018
    I did such a ride probably a decade or so again. The wierd part is the field went IFR while we were up. I got the last ride of the day.
    Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what other "due diligence" a paying passenger on any airplane ride can do? Even on a commercial airliner.
    That was exactly my point. This is why the airlines and charter operators have to work under the FAA regulation for Parts 121/135, etc... and why Collings (and the EAA for that matter) need the exception from the rules for their operation, and why it's a problem when they don't bother to comply with terms of that exception.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what other "due diligence" a paying passenger on any airplane ride can do? Even on a commercial airliner.
    When I arrive at the gate for check-in, I show the boarding agent my ticket, my passport and my Commercial Pilots License. My CPL allows me to exit the gangway to get unto the ramp and then proceed to do a complete walkaround of the aircraft. Upon completion, I walk up the stairs, re-enter the gangway, walk aboard the aircraft, look left and give the Captain a thumbs up. Doesn't anyone else do this?

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,575
    IF you went to a course or seminar at Flightsfety they would probably cover prefilght inspection as important. Many if not most of the corp and charter jets I see here have talis 20 feet in the air. yet I dont see any well dressed and paid pilots carrying a ladder out on the ramp.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-02-2020 at 09:50 AM.

  9. #49
    Mayhemxpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Probably would have if it was free. But that is exactly the point. The public (even informed people like us) are unable or unwilling to do the proper due diligence to determine what the risk is.
    +1
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

  10. #50
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC26 (Catawba, NC)
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    IF you went to a course or seminar at Flightsfety they would probably cover prefilght inspection as important. Many if not most of the corp and charter jets I see here have talis 20 feet in the air. yet I dont see any well dressed and paid pilots carrying a ladder out on the ramp.
    And sometimes with disastrous results: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=MA

    But Part 135/121 maintenance procedures are SUPPOSED to alleviate some of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •