Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with identification of 2 cylinder engine and parts.

Did a little more digging based on the USN markings on the mags. Lawrance built a Model 30-D APU. There are some pics of it out on the web but they all have their cooling shrouds installed and are complete so the engine details are obscured. One source stated they were used in Mariners and Privateers. Again, the Pensacola Naval Air Museum might be the best source of info. Even found one for sale about 15 miles from my location. Current bid was $750 and that was for a complete but unrestored non-running unit.
    So with that said, the GJR’s pics maybe the engine portion of one of these units. Haven’t a clue of its worth as a collectible.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Eh, what USN markings on the mags? The data plates and part numbers look to be standard (for the era) Bendix (commercial) parts. As I said, looks like Lawrance, but I don't see anything in google image search that has quite the same case as this one.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 10-08-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Looks like it might have been built with repurposed cylinders from a radial engine?

Well Lawrance was an aircraft engine manufacturer. Wright Aircraft acquired them in the early 20’s. Supposedly the Lawrance J-1 was the inspiration for the Wright Whirlwind. It makes sense that their APU engines reflects their roots.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Thank you everyone. I would like to see someone get this at a fair price that would be appreciate it. Below is another response I received. It is located in Connecticut.

the engine you have is a Lawrance ground power unit or auxiliary
    power unit. They were used in a few airplanes hooked to a generator for
    auxiliary power. It puts out 14.5 horse power. All the parts are for the
    engine.

Unit for sale

I advertised it for $400 as pictured if anyone is interested please PM me with a phone number to call you. Thank you. Again located in Connecticut 06483. Thanks to all who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by GJR View Post
    Thank you everyone. I would like to see someone get this at a fair price that would be appreciate it. Below is another response I received. It is located in Connecticut.

the engine you have is a Lawrance ground power unit or auxiliary
    power unit. They were used in a few airplanes hooked to a generator for
    auxiliary power. It puts out 14.5 horse power. All the parts are for the
    engine.