Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A First Look at Microsoft’s New Flight Simulator

Reading the reviews, I noticed that the special detail of weather conditions is particularly admirable. All weather conditions are very real!

And all I need is a Cray to run it!
    :-)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Is there any movement to adapting EAA Virtual Flight Academy to FS2020, or progress to working with X-Plane?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The AMAZON marketplace source I tried to buy an updated controller from turned out to be not just be fraudulent but in spite of a promise to refund after AMAZON got the item cancelled has not taken off the rushed overcharge off my sister's credit card.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-16-2020 at 05:59 AM. Reason: ��

I found some tips on how to bind the controls on the Logitech 2.4 Freedom stick and now I at least have a throttle and pitch, roll and yaw. The picture in the actual flights is still of a ?. The AI is not able to avoid vehicles on the taxiiways so one really needs to jump out to a usable controller. Just working on checklists and the ground portion until I had a useable in flight control for large movements beyond autopilot.

And word as to whether the new version will be "back compatible" as far as aircraft are concerned? Will one be able to use or convert aircraft from earlier versions of the program?

Ron Wanttaja

I've made one good parking ramp to parking ramp flight from Sedona to LAX in a Cessna CJ-4 using the the Black Knight AI. I saved it in XBox Stored Games. All VFR flight with real weather and found that though it wants to fly at 8600 feet it will go to just under 10,000 to clear mountains at as little as 100 feet if necessary.

Trying to pull off this trick again from Chicago O'hare to San Fancisco Oakland I found that the AI can do excellent terrain following (TF) it falls short on nearby upslopes to the starboard as terrain avoidance. Wow! Those haircuts were amazing! Afternoon, in the mountain wave area on the back side of the Sierras is a place for sailplanes.

Yesterday, with the 787 back in the stable after it had disappeared except as the flight I began after a reload to get rid of some blackscreens on start , my real flight from Austin, Texas to Heathrow in 2016 gave me some checkpoints on a runway to runway from KSFO to Haneda. Nine hours flight time with a speed in statute miles per hour as reported on the flight following on the seat back compared to converting from TAS to statute miles per hour gave just over 600 mph at 39,900 feet enroute.

Just for fun in the night the Cessna 152 made a takeoff and go around to land at Courcheval.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    And word as to whether the new version will be "back compatible" as far as aircraft are concerned? Will one be able to use or convert aircraft from earlier versions of the program?

Ron Wanttaja

I've read that there is some mechanism that allows the use of FSX aircraft, but I don't have the sim (it needs Win 10) and don't know any further details. You might check out the MSFS 2020 section on the flightsim.com forum, though -- lots of good info there.

Larry N.

Today was a good day to go to New York and look at the way rain and fog is portrayed. After a few skips of a flight to Toronto in a Diamond and a flight from LaGuardia to Bradley where only one engine started and I took a long taxii, I brought up my trusty Cessna CJ-4 and flew into some really great cumulus and completed the flight. Turns out Blackshark AI is about the terrain and building from satellite images.

I couldn't wait any longer and sprung for the Deluxe version earlier this week. It is a very complex, highly advanced sim compared to FSX-SE which I've been on for quite a while. YouTubers, SoFly and Flightsim.com have been invaluable to my getting up and running and loving this sim experience.

As the 'latest & greatest' it does place serious demands on a PC. I did have to upgrade my HP Pavilion i5-8400 with 16mg ram (upgrade), 1TB SSD (upgrade) and a GTX1050 2G graphics card (upgrade). The graphics card really does need to be at least 4G so I swapped it out for a GTX1650 4G. Still not meeting the "Ideal" game spec but well within the "Recommended". It's appears to be the fastest card I can install without upgrading my power supply too. The latest version of Windows 10 (1909) and graphics drivers are a must.

Still a lot less $$ than playing golf or really learning to fly - lol
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 09-13-2020 at 06:50 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln