Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A First Look at Microsoft’s New Flight Simulator

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

A First Look at Microsoft’s New Flight Simulator

Here’s my take (which was embargoed until today) after I had a look at it about 10 days ago.

http://inspire.eaa.org/2019/09/30/an...ght-simulator/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

That's a nice article, Hal. And your comparisons with FSX are very helpful, too. Looks as if it'll be a very interesting "update" to the series, even if a bit overdue. Too bad this wasn't around a year ago, since my real and sim flying buddy for over 40 years passed away last spring, and he'd have loved it, too. Meantime, I'm looking forward to more info -- it might even force me to replace my 9 year old computer, which still does fairly well on FSX and P3D V2.

And for a slightly different take on it, here's a rather lengthy article on Ars Technica about the new sim.
    Last edited by lnuss; 09-30-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Larry N.

Thanks for the article, Hal....this could be a major game-changer!!

Among other things, we use our sim as an adjunct to RW pilot training.. I pretty much abandoned P3D in favor of XP11 around v3.? because of the ability to run on Linux. Then XP11 on Win10 because of the RXP GTN 650/750s being Win-only; As you know, they mimic the Garmin GTN units 100 percent. Currently running a couple of fairly hefty networked computers with big TV's, a touchscreen for the RXP units, and home-built switch panels. It's much easier to teach folks to run their 'new' avionics and do procedures training with a pause button.

If MS pulls this together, it will totally change the landscape of the sim world! Any word on timeline for availability?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 10-03-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    It's much easier to teach folks to run their 'new' avionics and do procedures training with a pause button.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    If MS pulls this together, it will totally change the landscape of the sim world! Any word on timeline for availability?

Jim
    Jim -

Officially, all they've committed to is 2020. There are rumors that it will be November of 2020, but they're unsubstantiated, and hitting alpha (their current milestone) a year before a planned release date would be pretty unusual, so I'm expecting it to be much sooner than that.

The best answer I've heard about release dates, though, is, "not until it's ready." In my day (says the old codger), we didn't always have that luxury. We had to be wrapping it up in late September so we could RTM (release to manufacturing) in October, getting discs burned and stuffed into boxes in time for Christmas. Without that pressure, they really should be able to just wait and release it when it's ready.

Best -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Well Hal, Any word on the release date? Or any tid-bits? Throw me a bone here.....

I'm not Hal, but I've been following some discussion on flightsim.com, which includes some demonstration videos. Scroll down to the section called Microsoft Flight Simulator, just above the section called FSX.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    I'm not Hal ...
    I am! That said, I don't have any new information about release dates or pricing or anything like that. Just "this year."

I certainly saw enough at the preview event to tell you that I do believe it will be well worth the wait!

Yeah, I know that doesn't help any.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

....go to the source ... I know Hal will be on this like... well, you know what.

MS-FS 2020 is now on my 5 year old ALIENWARE.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-16-2020 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Time to move on.

MS-FS 2020 is now on my 5 year old ALIENWARE.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 10-16-2020 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Time to move on.