Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Hole

Big Grin Swimming Hole

Anybody other than me think a swimming hole out where the seaplanes come and go wouldn't be a bad idea? Think of it... an area roped off with two volunteer lifeguards. What better way to cool off during those hot afternoons? Palm trees, bratwurst, and cheese kurds optional.

Lake Winnebago water is just nasty. Between the bad smell and the occasional algae bloom why would you want to swim in it???
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Sheesh... sounds like a bad idea now that you put that out there. Just the name, "Lake Winnebago" sounded nice but I guess it's obvious I've never seen it from land. Any other lake within bus riding distance that won't eat my skin?

There has been a "swimming hole" at the seaplane base for at least 30 years. There is a beach area next to the large tent that gets used every year unless there is an algae bloom. It is swim at your own risk, no lifeguards. The water in the shallow beach area is crystal clear many years. I have enjoyed swimming with PBY's and the Martin Mars among others over the years...Name:  pby.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  94.4 KB

Looks nice... that's more like it.

Grinning to myself here.
    Don't be fooled by that picture of those people in the lake next to the seaplanes. Trust me, they needed to rinse that nasty lake water off of them pronto.

If you wonder where the mosquito's come from, Lake Winnebago is a giant Petri dish that provides them by the billions daily. There is a reason that locals in Oshkosh all have screened in front porches. You will find this out for yourself very quickly. See the green crap in the water? Do yourself a favor and don't swim in lake Winnebago. YMMV ( your mileage may vary ).

Name:  DSC_0534.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  98.6 KB
    ​" Good isn't cheap, and Cheap isn't good "

Duplicate.
    Last edited by glider90; 04-20-2020 at 08:40 AM.

That green "stuff" in your picture is actually Lemnoideae more commonly known as "duckweed". They are small individual leaves about 1/8" long and firm. I scooped some of that out of that exact area years ago to show my kids that is actually a bunch of very small leaves. It is a great source of food for aquatic creatures, and in many countries people!

The thing you do need to be aware of in Lake Winnebago is the occasional blue-green algae bloom. This causes a blueish green algae to form on the surface of the water. This is caused by lots of sun, warm early temperatures, and excessive ag runoff into the lake. If blooms are present then you should not swim, as ingesting any of the lake water will put you at risk for illness. The Winnebago County website will announce if bloom are present, and the volunteers at the base will close the swimming area.; This has only happened a couple times that I know of in the 40 years I have been attending.

As for mosquitoes, yes they are thick at the seaplane base as dusk approaches. However the swimming area enjoys full sun during most of the day, which mosquitoes cannot tolerate. Lake Winnebago is a living lake with an inlet and and outlet flowing through it. Mosquitoes need stagnant water to breed. Yes there is some stagnant water areas, but not where the swimming hole is.

Swim at your own risk, and reward. But I assure you that my family has enjoyed the swimming hole at lake Winnebago for years with no ill effects. The years it is in the 90's that is a saving grace for tent campers! And who can resist swimming with a Martin Mars!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by glider90; 04-20-2020 at 08:38 AM.

They had been previously called Ouinipegoue (Winnebago) which means “People of the Stinking Water

Between between the tannic water, algae blooms, the smell, lake flies and the ices shoves what’s not to like??
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    They had been previously called Ouinipegoue (Winnebago) which means “People of the Stinking Water

Between between the tannic water, algae blooms, the smell, lake flies and the ices shoves what’s not to like??
    What's an ice shove?