Thread: Capella XS plans

EAA Staff / Moderator

Capella XS plans

In response to a request from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in the assistance of an ongoing accident investigation, we are asking that any EAA members with any of the following please contact EAA:

• Plans, Schematics, or Building Instructions for the Capella XS kit-built aircraft

If you can provide any of these items on loan, please contact Ben Page at 920-426-6839 or by email at bpage@eaa.org.

Thanks!

Sam

Interesting. This is apparently in response to a wing-failure case in Spain last month (CEN19WA289).

On August 23, 2019, about 1905 hours universal coordinated time, an amateur-built Capella XS airplane, Spanish registration EC-YTA, impacted terrain after an inflight separation of a wing near San Juan del Puerto, Spain. The pilot was fatally injured, and the airplane was substantially damaged.

The accident investigation is under the jurisdiction and control of the Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes de Aviación Civil (CIAIAC). This report is for informational purposes and contains only information provided by the government of Spain.

I've got six Capella accidents in my 1998-2017 database, three pilot miscontrol, and one each carb ice, fuel exhaustion, and fuel contamination.

I seem to recall another structural failure accident in the ~mid-90s timeframe, but don't see it coming up on the online NTSB database. This one was also fatal, and IIRC, it was related to aerobatics.

Ron Wanttaja

FWIW, I've found about fifteen currently registered in the US. Five are owned either by the original builder or the builder's family...they might be a good place to approach. The N-Numbers are:

N3192
    N32359
    N41090
    N912FW
    N80559

Ron Wanttaja

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Thanks, Ron! I'll pass this information on to our museum curator.

Did you find everything you need? I purchased a Capella XS earlier this year and I have all of the factory manuals. I'm curious on the details of the NTSB investigation too.

Big Grin manual research!

Hi, my name is nick, from Italy, I'm also iterested in NTSB investigation, and i'm interested also looking for a Capella flight/maintanance manual.Would you help me?
    thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Did you find everything you need? I purchased a Capella XS earlier this year and I have all of the factory manuals. I'm curious on the details of the NTSB investigation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickrude View Post
    Hi, my name is nick, from Italy, I'm also iterested in NTSB investigation, and i'm interested also looking for a Capella flight/maintanance manual.Would you help me?
    Since the accident (CEN19WA289) happened in Spain, the US NTSB will would not be involved unless requested by the Spanish authorities. As homebuilt accidents in the US are already lower priorities for the NTSB, I doubt they'd be involved in the one in Europe.

The Spanish equivalent of the NTSB is the Comisión de Investigación de Accidentes e Incidentes de Aviación Civil (CIAIAC). Their web page is at:

https://www.mitma.gob.es/organos-colegiados/ciaiac

I found two Capella accidents on the site, but nothing on the 2019 one.

Ron Wanttaja