Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Class Medical/SODA

Robert, I had the same issues with FAA. Cardiologist, sleep apnea doctor. 1 1/2 years of doctor visits and paperwork back and forth with the FAAA to finally get my 3rd class medical back. The day after I received it I changed to BasicMed. See a doctor every 4 years and take a short quiz every 2 years. Piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjmsb View Post
    Robert, I had the same issues with FAA. Cardiologist, sleep apnea doctor. 1 1/2 years of doctor visits and paperwork back and forth with the FAAA to finally get my 3rd class medical back. The day after I received it I changed to BasicMed. See a doctor every 4 years and take a short quiz every 2 years. Piece of cake.
    I know the struggle RJ, it was so frustrating but I was determined to see it through. I did continue to fly some because I have a friend that's a CFI and he doesn't charge me, he wanted me to get it as bad as I did. I have until March to change over to BasicMed so that's my plan. I'm glad you stuck it out.
    Bob, No, I will not sit down and be quit, Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I did get a little conflicting info about being able to be a safety pilot with BasicMed, but I don't foresee that being a problem.
    Bob
    Confusing, conflicting, silly .... that's how some of the safety pilot restrictions under basic med read. For example, I have a commercial MEI ticket and fly IFR regularly. I can not be a safety pilot for a friend with an ATP in my airplane. Hopefully I am wrong - but that's the way I read 'em.

While it sucks that the whole thing gets backdated to the date of the original exam, the renewals on most SI's is pretty ho hum. You just go back to the AME (possibly armed with some status information depending on what the SI is for) and he reissues it and sends the paperwork off to Joklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    While it sucks that the whole thing gets backdated to the date of the original exam, the renewals on most SI's is pretty ho hum. You just go back to the AME (possibly armed with some status information depending on what the SI is for) and he reissues it and sends the paperwork off to Joklahoma City.
    You're right Ron, but after going through my ordeal twice already, and then having to do it all over again in 6 mos. because I originally started in March 2018. So, with the kind of flying I do anyway, BasicMed is fine for me. I would have stayed down graded to Sport Pilot if I thought the proposed SP rule making would take place in my lifetime, I'm 73 so go figure. LOL
    Bob, I like simple.