Thread: Davis DA-11

Davis DA-11

I've been looking for an article on the Davis DA-11 "Mower Power to the People". I found the DA-9 article in the August 1996 issue, so I believe the DA-11 article would have been after that. I thought the DA-11 was on the cover. Now I'm thinking it was one of the Experimenter magazines when that was printed as a separate publication. Anyone have this, and could scan or photo it for me?

Along that line - will EAA be scanning the older printed Experimenters as part of the searchable online archive?
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Just did a quick google search for it and the one page article popped up at AirplaneZone.com. Hope that helps.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

There was just the one page only in Sport Aviation. Contact magazine did a full article, and I think it was reprinted in the alternative engine book series.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Just did a quick google search for it and the one page article popped up at AirplaneZone.com. Hope that helps.
    Got it. Thanks!

I would love to find plans for the DA-11, but my research suggests plans were never sold. What similar all-metal, high speed (90+ kt), low operating cost single seaters would be comparable to the DA-11?
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320

Quote Originally Posted by thisadviceisworthles View Post
    I would love to find plans for the DA-11, but my research suggests plans were never sold. What similar all-metal, high speed (90+ kt), low operating cost single seaters would be comparable to the DA-11?
    Spacek SD-1
    Rutan Quickie one
    M. Columban Luciole*

*plans not available in US

Quote Originally Posted by thisadviceisworthles View Post
    The DA-5A. Plans were not available for quite a while, but are now available again see davisda2.com. I have a set. Some of the pages show 100% size parts, but the duplication process makes them slightly off, so would need to check dimensions and rescale the copies. The brake attachment at the landing gear isn't defined, but I asked on the forum on that site, and they provided the equivalent drawing from the DA-2A.

If you read the article that I was asking about, there's a significant issue - Davis couldn't kit it way back then because no lawnmower company wants their engines used in airplanes. Also check max pilot weight - might be lower than you need.

The DA-5A can handle a pilot up to about 205 lb.

Another option with lots of current builders, completed / project airplanes for sale, and an ongoing source of parts & support is the Onex by Sonex.
    Last edited by Eric Witherspoon; 09-17-2019 at 12:19 PM.