Thread: Un documented project

Un documented project

Just ran across a Hummel Ultracruiser project that has absolutely no documentation and I was wondering how much trouble it would be to register it as an LSA. If it's anything like trying to get my 3rd class medical back after letting it expire years ago, it will be a nightmare !
    Bob

All depends on your DAR. But the Ultracruiser is (or can be) a legal 103 ultralight; why not just fly it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Just ran across a Hummel Ultracruiser project that has absolutely no documentation and I was wondering how much trouble it would be to register it as an LSA. If it's anything like trying to get my 3rd class medical back after letting it expire years ago, it will be a nightmare !
    Bob
    Only 2 paths to ELSA. Built from a certified light-sport kit or a downgraded SLSA. The project you are talking about could be certificated as Amateur-Built if you can supply documentation proving that the project was >51% built by amateurs for the purpose of education and recreation.

As DANA stated, you need to get with your inspector and work out the details as to what he/she will accept as building logs.
    Last edited by melann; 08-30-2019 at 06:51 AM.

How much of the project has already been completed?

There is a new checklist that the FAA has given DARs for the builder to fill out. A builder friend just had to fill it out. The checklist is used to confirm that 51% of the work was done by an amateur builder for education/recreation, not by a kit supplier or professional "helper". A DAR can give you that checklist, you might find it on the FAA website somewhere, or perhaps EAA can provide it.

Hummel's have never been offered as a kit and there are no "builder support" businesses for Hummels so the question of amateur built is easy to answer. You just have to check off the tasks on the form to get past 51%. Should be very easy with this type of project to qualify for E-AB certification. The number of boxes on the form to check off is stunningly long. And as always, take pictures of your own work.

Best of luck,

Wes

Sorry Wes, Hummel does offer the option to buy individual components and kits.... checkout their website. There was a time you could build your kit onsite using their jigs but not sure if they still offer that service.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

https://flyhummel.com/ultra-cruiser/

The fabrication and assembly checklist is in Appendix 8 of FAA AC 20-27G https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_20-27G.pdf
    Last edited by martymayes; 08-31-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks for all the info and links guys, if I think it's worth while, this will help a lot. I guess I could just have it as an ultralight instead of trying to make it Light Sport. If I pull the trigger on it, I'll let you know.
    Bob