Thread: Painting a Certificated aircraft, and other questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Painting a Certificated aircraft, and other questions

Hey guys.
    I just have a stupid question. I'm sure there is a logical answer, but why is it important to the FAA for an A&P to be the one to paint an aircraft? Are they worried about the weight of the new paint? Corrosion protection?

Also, I am given to understand one does NOT have to get new upholstery signed off on. Seems like that would be a lot more opportunity for messing up weight and balance calcs.

From a practical standpoint, do people replace, for instance, landing lights (bulbs or replace the whole fixture) without getting an A&P to do it? How much could it/would it cost to get an A&P to replace a landing light on a 1965-ish Piper or Cessna? Like, if you wanted to switch it out for an LED fixture?

An aircraft owner can do anything listed in FAR43 appendix A (c)
    It is called Preventive Maintenance. Refinishing is allowed with the exceptions stated in the rule.

In the big picture, you can repaint the airplane, but if you pull control surfaces off (for instance), you'll need a mechanic to (legally) reinstall them, balance them (if necessary), etc.