Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Ultralight fun fly zone area for 2020?

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hi Floats, if you haven't already, please send an email to feedback@eaa.org about bleacher seating in the Fun Fly Zone. That is the best way to make suggestions, as those comments are forwarded to members of our staff that are in charge of that kind of planning and those kinds of decisions. In fact, if you have suggestions about anything at AirVenture, that would be the best place to send them. That way, our staff can see which issues our members are most concerned about and we can make improvements where necessary. Thank you!
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 08-22-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Sam, I will email the suggestion/comments as noted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    If EAA moves the UL runway further away from the actual show, reinforces my belief that Airventure is becoming a playground just for people with deep pockets. Sad

Sorry Wrongway, I don't get your equivelancy. If you're referring to costs for UL's, LSA's, HB's and the choppers that all play at the UL runway, have you checked out the completion price of a Just Aircraft($150K plus) or an Aircam($250K plus) for example? Deep pockets required!!

The bleachers actually block the show from the majority trying to see in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The bleachers actually block the show from the majority trying to see in.
    NO! Actually it's the first and possibly the second row of people standing in front of the fence on flat ground that block the show from the majority behind them trying to see. Many bleachers in close proximity to the fence would allow the majority of people to comfortably see all the activity.

The problem is that the fence is literally the flightline, right on top of and next to the runway. If it was much further back, then more standing room only people could see the activity without obstruction. It's all about POV.

Yeah, the bleachers need to be further back or removed. Like the main show on runway 36.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Sorry Wrongway, I don't get your equivalency. If you're referring to costs for UL's, LSA's, HB's and the choppers that all play at the UL runway, have you checked out the completion price of a Just Aircraft($150K plus) or an Aircam($250K plus) for example? Deep pockets required!!
    I guess I was talking about the R/C (Radio Controlled) planes that they have at the UL runway. Those R/C planes seem to draw a younger crowd, which helps to get the next generation of kids interested in aviation. I feel that the R/C planes are a good affordable entry level starting point into aviation. The next level would be powered paragliding. So on and so forth.

There are no other places at AirVenture, that I know of that provides an affordable entry level starting point for the next gen.

By moving the UL runway farther away just seems like you're sending the wrong message to the next generation of aviators. Something like they aren't good enough because they don't have a pocket full of cash to buy a real plane.
    Then again, I'm kind of a sensitive guy.

RC Plane Fun Zone - AirVenture 2019 Video

RC Helicopter - Twilight Fun Fest - AirVenture 2019 Video

Moving the flightline back somewhat or adding more bleachers won't solve the problem. The main problem is the topography. It drops away.
    More bleachers will benefit those lucky few who grab a seat. The STOL competition needs to be moved to the main runway at Show Central
    as it continues to draw more and more conventioneers. There was even a Cessna 180 and Cessna 170 operating off the "Fun Fly Zone".
    Give the UL runway back to UL aircraft.
    Last edited by Ronald Franck; 08-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.

I for one like the close proximity to the runway. Sorry, it’s just not the same experience if it’s on 36. Yes, the area screams for spectator and runway improvements.
    It’s kinda a self fulfilling prophecy. No activity/spectators - no improvements. Don’t believe it; look what happened on the other end of the field. HBC numbers have been on the rise and EAA built a pavilion for the campers. I don’t see any internal or EAA lead initiative to get the UL/LSA community to help itself. Folks on that end of the field are truly lucky as they are the only ones that get to fly (onsite) during the week. Why not encourage that. There a lot of folks that get parked south of there that would love the chance to take the area over.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I think a new runway could be engineered for spectator viewing. The runway sides could be dug down slightly so spectators at the fence line would be lower. Others on the upward slope behind them could see over them.