Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Ultralight fun fly zone area for 2020?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Wrongway, don’t plan on the relocated UL area being outside of any fence. There are more than financial reasons to fence it.
    Unless I'm missing something, the original poster said they where moving the UL runway across Knapp street. That means to the west side of Knapp street. The airport fence or show ground fence, at the moment runs parallel to Knapp street and is on the east side of Knapp street. That means the UL runway would be located outside of the fence.

If EAA moves the UL runway further away from the actual show, reinforces my belief that Airventure is becoming a playground just for people with deep pockets. Sad

Not much farther south. The tram or bus could go faster down Knapp, stop at ultralights and continue on Knapp to the South 40 via county road N.

I didn't hear any announcements about the ultralights moving. I'm sure if this rumor is true, they would have announced or will announce something on the EAA website like they did with the EAA International Federal Pavilion moving or the changes/updates to Camp Scholler. As of right now take this as a grain of salt.
    Last edited by FlyinAdamBadger; 08-21-2019 at 05:20 PM.

I've always been surprised that the UL runway is so close to 18/36. Moving it a bit West is a good idea, IMO.

The sad thing is that the UL area is dead today compared to what it was 20 years ago with a bunch of fat ultralights and neat airplanes that weren't ultralights, but the powers that be ignored it. We still walk down there once a week from HBC, but that trip is becoming harder and harder to rationalize.

If I hadn't went to the Ultralights area this year, I wouldn't have seen the InnovAviation FX-1, Skeeter Enterprises Valkyrie, Badland F1 UL, and Lockwood Aircraft's Gen-3 AirCam. All of them made their EAA AirVenture debut at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019. I am so glad that I visit the ultralights/light-sport area each year. Plus, the area looked completely full this year.

Plus, by the way did you know Bo Feldman, an 18-year-old pilot, flew his Paramotor all the way from Florida to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh. The newest and hottest thing is the Paramotors. https://youtu.be/wBB8na-ZM6U
    Last edited by FlyinAdamBadger; 08-21-2019 at 05:58 PM.

It's more than a rumor. I don't know if it will be done by 2020, but it's coming.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hello all, the Ultralight Runway and the Fun Fly Zone will not be moving locations for AirVenture 2020. Like with every area on the grounds, during the master planning of AirVenture different options for future growth of the Fun Fly Zone are considered. That said, the Fun Fly Zone has seen a tremendous amount of activity and has really grown in popularity over the past few years and that's something we're excited about!

OK Sam, thanks for the update.

But, what about the motorcycle parking that up to now has been located on the west lawn of the UL Red Barn? Is there a plan to change the bicycle/motorcycle parking in the area? It sure is convenient to be able to ride from the distant areas, such as Scholler camping, to the UL area and park nearby.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hi Tom, I don't have any information about any parking changes as of this time but if there are, that will be something that is updated in either a story, on our website, etc. as AirVenture 2020 approaches.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Oleson View Post
    Hello all, the Ultralight Runway and the Fun Fly Zone will not be moving locations for AirVenture 2020. Like with every area on the grounds, during the master planning of AirVenture different options for future growth of the Fun Fly Zone are considered. That said, the Fun Fly Zone has seen a tremendous amount of activity and has really grown in popularity over the past few years and that's something we're excited about!
    Sam, thanks for the clarity. I, and I'm sure many others here appreciate definitive fact-based responses from HQ that put an end to speculative opinions, heresay and zero evidenced based info that can be seen on this Forum from time to time.

On another thread concerning the UL and Fun Fly Zone, there were numerous complaints concerning the lack of adequate seating(including me) and the fact that for years only the same one small seating bleacher exists. Much more seating (either permanent or temporary) is required because of the fencing, area configuration and unique proximity of viewers to the fence. As you said there's a tremendous amount of activity and popularity growth. We need many, many more bleachers to deal with this growth. Can you ensure that this improvement will occur in 2020 and beyond?