Thread: storage units at camp grounds

storage units at camp grounds

I've talk to several EAA people and they just give me a deer in the headlight look
    They need to build some small storage units in the camping area---they could start with the RV camping area first
    They could be 3x3 or 4x4 with a small door--build a row of them with 25 units
    You could rent them by the year only--due at the start of airadventure
    Most people with small homebuilts do not have enough room for camping gear and a passenger. Would love to be able to store their camping gear instead of transporting it
    They would probably cash flow after 2 years--EAA could then use that money to make improvements to the camp grounds
    talk to anyone that owns storage units--they are a cash cow
    Registration could handle taking the rent
    so what do you think?

I think 25 people would be really happy, and the rest would still be stuck with trying to schlep their gear to the show. It'd be kinda like hotel rooms; a theoretical possibility but the vast majority of those who want one could never get one.

The other aspect is security...is EAA going to be responsible if these lockers are broken into? What happens if one of then starts leaking, and the renter shows up in July to find a mold-ridden mass? Is that going to be EAA's responsibility, too?

Ron Wanttaja

Or, you could always use one of the existing Oshkosh storage units?

https://www.google.com/search?q=stor...sh,+wi&ie=&oe=
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I know there is a storage place on the east side of the airport by the truck factory. Probably as close as you are going to get.

There's a self store just south of the PlaneView truck stop on the highway frontage road. I've had a locker there for over ten years. Barr Refrigeration and Self Storage. Real nice people.
    I split a 10x20 unit with a dozen other Vintage volunteers.

One of my friends up in the North 40 has a small box trailer that a befriended Oshkosh local stores during the off-season and drags it over to the North 40 for him at the beginning and end of the show.

But the concept is intriguing. Custom delivery of storage containers to the show.

They could deliver them like this:
    Name:  Thunderbird2.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  21.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There's a self store just south of the PlaneView truck stop on the highway frontage road. I've had a locker there for over ten years. Barr Refrigeration and Self Storage. Real nice people.
    I split a 10x20 unit with a dozen other Vintage volunteers.

One of my friends up in the North 40 has a small box trailer that a befriended Oshkosh local stores during the off-season and drags it over to the North 40 for him at the beginning and end of the show.

But the concept is intriguing. Custom delivery of storage containers to the show.
    I used Barr Storage for years, ditto to friendly folks, and if you pay a year in advance, they give you a month free.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Even something like a job box. A company could stack hundreds in a warehouse. Let them know what day you're arriving and they drop it off at the show. Anybody leaving that day fills up your empty box, pays for a year and they take it back to the warehouse.

Yeah, I've always availed myself of the extra month free plan. Actually we have like 48 of those black and yellow 27 gallon tubs from Lowes lining one side of our locker. The other side has shelves with all the tents and stuff. We've got miscellaneous stuff... picnic tables/benches, a wagon, a grill, and such stuck in the middle.

Kinda surprised one of the storage unit facilities hasn’t caught on to the idea and built a block of 5x10 or 10x10 units. It’s a sure way to keep the units full for a year.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun