Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Ultralight fun fly zone area for 2020?

Changes for Ultralight fun fly zone area for 2020?

I visited the Ultralight area on my motor bicycle, which I was allowed to park in the yard area on the Knapp St. side of the Red Barn. I saw someone had hand written on the signs there that this was the last year that parking here would be allowed. Then, back home, someone said he had heard that the ultralight field was to be relocated to some private land across Knapp St., possibly near where the helicopters stage.

Anyone know of the details of the changes planned for the Ultralight area?

By private land, it means land the EAA bought I suspect, but yes, the ultralight runway is being moved across Knapp.
    I haven't heard what the plans for ground transportation (pedestrians and shuttles) between the existing flight line areas and the new area. Will this be a crossing or will some of Knapp street be closed down during the show?

Sounds like if you didn't like the long walk back from the evening Fun Fly Zone events, you are REALLY gonna be unhappy walking even farther. My first question would be "Why move the runway away from the vendor area?"
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Yikes! That’s should make things interesting. Do you know if it’s just relocating the runway or is the whole area gonna be moved? The UL barn is always a good place to take. Never crowded and good viewing for the UL strip and Ray 36. Would hate to see the UL & LSA community lose it.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I hope the new runway is longer than the 900 ft currently, and with safer clear approaches.

Well, since the Goodyear Airship seems to be a thing of the past I say move the helicopter rides to the FunFly Zone and move the ultralights to Pioneer Airport. Seems like a reasonable swap and the north tram could worm it's way over to Pioneer to handle people.
    Last edited by Ronald Franck; 08-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Ronald, that is an excellent idea!!!

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    If they plan on moving the Ultralight runway across or on the west side of Knapp St. That would mean the Ultralight runway would be on the outside of the Airport fencing or the Show grounds fence, Correct ? That would mean free admission to the public, Correct? The other things is, the only reason a lot of people go down to that area is because of the Ultralight runway and the Ultralight vendors. Unless they plan on replacing the Ultralight runway with something else, to give people a reason to go down there.

It would definitely lighten the Ultralight south tram load if they moved the Ultralight runway and the Ultralight vendors outside of the show grounds. And what would happen to those people camping on the west side of the Ultralight runway?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Sounds like if you didn't like the long walk back from the evening Fun Fly Zone events, you are REALLY gonna be unhappy walking even farther. My first question would be "Why move the runway away from the vendor area?"
    I suspect the vendors are moving as well, but am not sure of that.

This is all part of the "no plane left behind" policy. By next year, the EAA wants to not turn away any aircraft (or at least no any recreational vehicles). To do this there's been a lot of land wrangling all around the airport.

Moving to Pioneer is never gonna happen. Sounds good at first but if you moved the ULs to Pioneer that would pretty much curtail the daily activities due to its proximity to 27-9 and cuts the Pioneer site in half. There is a lot operational sense keeping located in the SW corner.
    Wrongway, don’t plan on the relocated UL area being outside of any fence. There are more than financial reasons to fence it.
    Due to the relatively low numbers of aircraft, wouldn’t be surprised to the overall area downsized too.
    On the up side, agree with Bill B there should be no excuse for not having a decent runway.
    Guess that this all fits into the next year it’s going to be bigger and better comments. Wonder how long this has been in the works....
    Well, if anything it’s gonna be interesting to see what develops.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun