Thread: Where Have All the EAB Aircraft Gone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was at the south end all week. None of those quad, hex, EVTOL things flew this year or last year. Why is that?

Paul is still here in the EAA archives. He was constantly pushing to make aircraft attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I was at the south end all week. None of those quad, hex, EVTOL things flew this year or last year. Why is that?
    I wondered that myself. The Blackfly was there a year ago and had <supposedly> been flying out in California. A year later and they don't have it buzzing around the UL field? I can't understand why they didn't have one flying the UL pattern several times a day. It would have been a sensation.

I figure the FAA won't give approval without an airworthiness certificate. I don't think the FAA will let them fly at Airventure as FAR 103 ultralights either. They don't exactly comply with FAR 103. (yes, I know the owners claim they do)

Or EAA doesn't let them fly for insurance or whatever reason?

That Japanese ultralight, weight shift, jet powered flying wing that flew late Tuesday had a flight permit of some sort. (I asked the pilot)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    ... They don't exactly comply with FAR 103. (yes, I know the owners claim they do)
    Out of curiosity, why doesn't it comply with 103?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Out of curiosity, why doesn't it comply with 103?
    None of them comply with FAR103.1 (e) (4) "Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed."

When I finish my "Wittman Buttercup"... I'll take it to small Fly-ins... They are cheaper and more friendly.

I drove to O$HCA$H once ... back around 2000.... I don't have any desire to return....(Spam Can City)

Especially with any of my Planes.
    Just my too sense.

Gotta Fly...

Summary, and my thoughts.

I read this entire thread up to this point. Interesting stuff.

"Where have all the EAB aircraft gone?" was targeted at planes physically at EAA AirVenture, but quickly led to analyzing where are they in general?, and why is there no pilot interest in general? Conflating all of that, here is what I found if I were to summarize this entire discussion up to this point (including adding my own points):

Why should I own/fly/build an EAB?

• Speed to destination
    • Joy of flying (pure recreation)
    • Joy of building (if that is your thing)

What gets in my way, detracts, or causes disinterest?

• Time
      • RC ARF example - people just want instant gratification
      • LSA instant gratification (why build? Just buy)
      • People simply do not have time in 2000-2019 like they did in 1940-1999 (we are over worked, busy trying to get ahead, inflation and economic pressures keep tightening, etc)
      • "Quick Builds" still are not quick enough! Depressing stories of 14+ years to build X project, RV, Variez, etc. Not cool.

• Money
      • Some argue this isn't an issue, can get in a plane for $8k to $15k
      • Others argue it definitely is an issue - if you are not retired! Not a dime available for anything but family, etc.
      • Pilot certification being a huge barrier of time and money that simply is scarce today
      • Ongoing costs (not just purchase, but maintenance, especially when not the builder)

• Inconvenience
      • No car at destination
      • Limited payload compared to loading up the car
      • Fueling up with mogas is annoying (FBO simply way behind the times and uninterested in alternative fuels beyond 100LL, including electric charge stations)

• Buzz Kill
      • 2nd owner/builder not as interested as the original builder - low motivation, sentiment
      • Nothing new (all the Vans RVs… good planes, but yaaaawn, boring, seen it)
      • Regulation of Pilot (easier to fly a UL, or get Sport Pilot rating than Private Pilot)
      • Lies/unkept promises (planes/kits paid for, not delivered, pours “ice” on builders willing to get started)

• Manufacturer Low Demand
      • Cost of manufacturing (great ideas can’t get funded, very expensive to even get into kit making)
      • Tied to the lack of new pilots problem (catch 22 here?)

Not a lot of pros outweighing the cons here. In my particular case, my #1 (and literally ONLY) reason for not building/flying is MONEY. So I can relate to that. I'm not retired! It really sucks sitting on the sidelines trying to get into planes and flying whilst I'm in the middle of a career with a family. And BTW, I make 6 figs, so getting a better job shouldn't be the issue, but my expenses are vast (I literally was saving for an inexpensive plane, and all that money just went into a new engine and transmission for my family vehicle, yay. Rinse and repeat). My private pilot cert has gathered dust for decades, literally decades, and my interest in flying has NOT.

Now, forget about my story, and let's look at what is happening in GA. This list we have collectively drummed up on this thread is pretty close, but there are other reasons - can probably go a lot deeper into regulations being a blocker, etc. But despite these issues, I recently crunched some data from FAA and I found that the number of aircraft registrations is GROWING, with certified planes outpacing experimental registrations by a LARGE margin (like 6 to 1). But... Experimental registrations IS growing, is not on a decline at all. I just wonder then if what this means is that it's boring. I mean, several of you commented about AirVenture having "nothing new", as in new DESIGNS and innovations, but that doesn't mean we dont have growth with the existing designs (Vans RV... lookin at you )

Several of you mentioned Blackfly. Why isn't it Part 103? Why didn't it fly at AirVenture 2019? Why is it in the daggum museum???

Blackfly perspective:

It doesn't meet FAR Part 103 because 1) it's too heavy at 313 lbs empty weight, and because it doesn't meet the powered off stall requirement (falls like a brick?).

Yes indeed, why didn't it fly at AirVenture? If I were head of that company, I'd have made darned sure to prepare what it takes to make that happen. 2019 FAIL award, IMO.

And given that it did NOT fly, it is a complete disgrace and a kick in the kahonies to all aviation innovators IMO, that EAA took it on as a "historic" addition to the museum. What the actual .... ??? So wait, what, now I can create something that is cool IN THEORY, not provide any proven results, and it becomes a piece of history? Like that is some sort of accomplishment? Gads. The shame.

HISTORIC
    This is currently the only thing historic about Blackfly: You can fly this non-UL without a pilot certificate. Apparently. Given that they do NOT make Part 103, and given that it is expressly designed/marketed to NOT require a pilots license, I immediately chalked this up as hype, my BS meter went to 11, and I put it into the "I'll believe it when I see it" bucket. BUT... then we read that (so they claim) the FAA will allow the "non-pilot" to take the Private Pilot Written Exam and be on their way. WHAT THE? Yeah, I've never seen a case where you can take a written test and the FAA gives you the thumbs up in the cockpit.

It's still in my "Believe it when I see it" bucket, due to non-flight, non-delivery. But I love the fact that industry is clearly pushing the bounds here.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 09-06-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: We don't need this to get political