Summary, and my thoughts.

I read this entire thread up to this point. Interesting stuff.

"Where have all the EAB aircraft gone?" was targeted at planes physically at EAA AirVenture, but quickly led to analyzing where are they in general?, and why is there no pilot interest in general? Conflating all of that, here is what I found if I were to summarize this entire discussion up to this point (including adding my own points):

Why should I own/fly/build an EAB?

• Speed to destination
  • Joy of flying (pure recreation)
  • Joy of building (if that is your thing)

What gets in my way, detracts, or causes disinterest?

• Time
    • RC ARF example - people just want instant gratification
    • LSA instant gratification (why build? Just buy)
    • People simply do not have time in 2000-2019 like they did in 1940-1999 (we are over worked, busy trying to get ahead, inflation and economic pressures keep tightening, etc)
    • "Quick Builds" still are not quick enough! Depressing stories of 14+ years to build X project, RV, Variez, etc. Not cool.

• Money
    • Some argue this isn't an issue, can get in a plane for $8k to $15k
    • Others argue it definitely is an issue - if you are not retired! Not a dime available for anything but family, etc.
    • Pilot certification being a huge barrier of time and money that simply is scarce today
    • Ongoing costs (not just purchase, but maintenance, especially when not the builder)

• Inconvenience
    • No car at destination
    • Limited payload compared to loading up the car
    • Fueling up with mogas is annoying (FBO simply way behind the times and uninterested in alternative fuels beyond 100LL, including electric charge stations)

• Buzz Kill
    • 2nd owner/builder not as interested as the original builder - low motivation, sentiment
    • Nothing new (all the Vans RVs… good planes, but yaaaawn, boring, seen it)
    • Regulation of Pilot (easier to fly a UL, or get Sport Pilot rating than Private Pilot)
    • Lies/unkept promises (planes/kits paid for, not delivered, pours “ice” on builders willing to get started)

• Manufacturer Low Demand
    • Cost of manufacturing (great ideas can’t get funded, very expensive to even get into kit making)
    • Tied to the lack of new pilots problem (catch 22 here?)

Not a lot of pros outweighing the cons here. In my particular case, my #1 (and literally ONLY) reason for not building/flying is MONEY. So I can relate to that. I'm not retired! It really sucks sitting on the sidelines trying to get into planes and flying whilst I'm in the middle of a career with a family. And BTW, I make 6 figs, so getting a better job shouldn't be the issue, but my expenses are vast (I literally was saving for an inexpensive plane, and all that money just went into a new engine and transmission for my family vehicle, yay. Rinse and repeat). My private pilot cert has gathered dust for decades, literally decades, and my interest in flying has NOT.

Now, forget about my story, and let's look at what is happening in GA. This list we have collectively drummed up on this thread is pretty close, but there are other reasons - can probably go a lot deeper into regulations being a blocker, etc. But despite these issues, I recently crunched some data from FAA and I found that the number of aircraft registrations is GROWING, with certified planes outpacing experimental registrations by a LARGE margin (like 6 to 1). But... Experimental registrations IS growing, is not on a decline at all. I just wonder then if what this means is that it's boring. I mean, several of you commented about AirVenture having "nothing new", as in new DESIGNS and innovations, but that doesn't mean we dont have growth with the existing designs (Vans RV... lookin at you )