Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Message for Britain

I phoned the FBO in Monroe and the very nice lady on the phone says they were there last night and left this morning and she doesnt know where but thinks the talked about the "west coast". Who knows?

The tracker is working again, the headed SW, mabye to avoid weather and are in west LA.. now in Huntsville, Texas
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Now in Las Vegas, I think those guys are going to be surprised at how hot it can be there, and how dry.

Banned
    Will you get a chance to meet up with them somewhere?

No, I don't know them. I was hoping they would come into Erie, just north of Denver. Ray Middleton and QG Aviation are about 20 miles from there and I was 8 miles away at a race track. But they didn't; follow the schedule the posted for some reason. perhaps they got a $$$ offer or to avoid weather. They went south. QG is the shop that just won Reserve Grand Champion at Osh with Eddie Kurdzel"s Fairy Firefly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    QG is the shop that just won Reserve Grand Champion at Osh with Eddie Kurdzel"s Fairy Firefly.
    It's a big, beautiful warbird that looked impressive sitting at show centre. Canada has 2 of them at the National Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa and the Shearwater Aviation Museum in Shearwater, Nova Scotia.

I'd guess the Spitfire crew is likely making a book and or video of the journey to sell, thus they are keeping to themselves. One of their guys came to speak at Osh and then ducked into the headquarters right away and was gone. Some people like to meet others and share and some are very private. I think most often when you dont understand a situation the answer is Money $$$$$$$.

Currently at Paine Field in Everett WA (just north of Seattle) on a four-day maintenance stop.

Ron Wanttaja

They're here in Fairbanks AK now. The way the weather's looking over on the coast they may be here for a while.

The Spitfire long distance flight never got much notice here in the U S, and seems to have pretty much dropped from the news altogether. But they still have their internet site and you can still track it most days. So I looked it up now and they are in Japan, which they say is the halfway point and are going to take a break to do 50 hour maintenance. I'm sure that would be an oil change and I expect and hope they have the full flow oil filters adapted that Jack Hovey has for U S based planes. The Merlin flows so much oil, capacity is about 12 Gallons, not quarts, that 2 filter cartridges are required. Also of course checking torque of head, looking at plugs, clean air fliter, and general well being. They don't say anything about any mechanical problems at all, after all 50 hours is not that much and you can cover a lot of ground at 250 mph average, is this case about half of the world. I wonder if the pilots can hear anything at this point, and they are probably glad to give their legs a stretch and butts a rest.
    it's quite an adventure ,what could they do after this? Most other airplanes are just not in the same category flying wise and or history wise, most anything else is a notch down. I only have a smidge of jet time, Lear 25, nowhere near this, really just cramped ,even if fast, and a bit of Soko, nice looking, nice flying, but you don't dream about it.
    Wish I had gotten to meet these folks, maybe some day over there.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 10-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.