Thread: Pilots and Fast Cars

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pilots and Fast Cars

Most pilots naturally like high performance vehicles other than planes, like cars , motorcycles., speedboats, etc. I just saw an article on line that reminded me of my experience with that. Roger Beasley Mazda dealer in Austin, Texas has a program to honor local nurses. They give 15 of the top rated nurses in the area the loan of a brand new Miata for a month! Despite it being hot there these ladies put the top down and like the wind in their hair. Its really generous and probably really good advertising for the brand also. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these ladies bring a check instead of returning the car at the end of the period.

Quite a few years ago I had flown to Sun N Fun, and my good friend, EAA member and noted warbird writer Jeff Ethel and I decided to share a room. We had airplanes, but no car and the last one the rent a car booth had was a Miata, so we took it to share. What a kick! For anyone who doesn't know its a small 2 seater, low to the ground, and really is nimble and corners well. The ride is a little bumpy, but its not boring, you hop in and its an adventure wherever you are going, it would be a great perk for someone who had to get to a boring job daily. I used to have fast cars, but put my money and energy into planes now, but still recall the Porsche. I kind of hope Im over the fast car phase, but a few years back I drove a friend's very fast new Porsche. Don't know how much hp it has but more than enough, and it goes around right angle corners at about 50. I had to get out of there before I got addicted. I remember reading about racing the 917 at Le Mans and 215 mph on the Mulsane straight and still accelerating. I/m supposed to be over that.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.