Thread: Backyard Flyer vs Arolite 103

Backyard Flyer vs Arolite 103

I am new to ULs and I'm looking at these two. What are the pros an cons? Is there a better choice for a beginner? Also is there anyplace to fly a UL in SW Indiana?

The backyard flyer might be cheaper and easier to store during the winter when it's too cold to fly comfortably? The wing pivots for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    The backyard flyer might be cheaper and easier to store during the winter when it's too cold to fly comfortably? The wing pivots for storage.
    Both are a good choice. Aerolight 103 is in production, I think. Backyard Flyer is not.

Can you find a good resale on a BF?

Many differences. What is it you want?
    Nosewheel vs tailwheel?
    Pusher versus tractor?
    Four cycle versus two cycle?
    New versus used?
    Last edited by jedi; 08-14-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Well I would like a 4 cycle I think it would be more reliable. But is the Back Yard Flyer no longer in production?

Culver Props, Valley Engineering was at A/V in 2017 I believe with their new 2 seat Back Yard Flyer. I don't know anything beyond that.
    Bob

Valley Engineering is out of business. As an alternative you might consider the Legal Eagle. You can build what you want and there are vendors for components too. The mini-Max is a lower cost alternative to the 103. The 103 is in production and can sometimes be found for sale on various sites such as Barnstormers.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Thanks for the info. I also saw an add for the Kolb Firefly. Would that be good for a beginner?

There a number of Kolb models. Maybe someone with Kolb experience could respond if you provide more info on
    what you’re looking at. Kolb has been around along time. They are all tail draggers but can’t speak to their ground handling. Have heard that tend to move around a lot but so do most aircraft with a low wing loading.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I watched them build the Aerolite 103 at EAA this year. It definitely looks like fun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

The Backyard Flier use a modified Generac 40 hp twin 4 stroke that looks really interesting. Its 120 lbs so that makes it 35 lbs heavier than a 50 hp Hirth F23. I just wonder if anyone has tried the Generac motor on on an Aerolite 103. The maker of the Backyard flyier stated it would cruise at just over a gallon per hour. A reliable 4 stroke would be so nice.

Archie