Thread: Ercoupe Rudders Question

Ercoupe Rudders Question

I know this will sound grossly uniformed on my part, but that is simply the result of my total ignorance on the subject - lol

On an Ercoupe, do the rudders only move outward? That is to say, the right rudder deflects outward when the yoke is turned right, the left one doesn't move? And vice versa. I do realize that the rudders are mechanically coupled to the ailerons
    for turn coordination.

Due to the elevator width there appears to be hardly any clearance for a rudder to deflect inwards?

Inquiring non-pilot senior citizen wants to know - couldn't find any guidance via Google.

Thanks
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-13-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure they both move in both directions in tandem. Because of the way the ailerons are rigged (less adverse yaw) and the fact that you have two comparatively large rudders, they don't need much deflection. In addition moving the vertical stabs out to the end of the horizontal stabs means they get less propwash, also downplaying the need for a lot of corrective rudder.

From the Ercoupe Type Certificate Data Sheet - A-718

Control surface movements Serial Nos. 113 and up: (S/N 112 and below not available)
    Elevator Up 13° Down 12°
    Aileron Up 40.5° Down 9.5°
    Rudders Outboard 20° Inboard 3°

So there you have it. Rudders deflect 20 degrees outboard and 3 degrees inboard.
    Cheers!

Joe

Thanks Joda!

Makes sense to me now. Looking at pics of the tail area on an Ercoupe always had me wondering how they could deflect very much inboard. I no longer need wonder knowing now that they can't.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-14-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Name:  ercoupe rudder.jpg
Views: 6584
Size:  87.7 KB
    ​" Good isn't cheap, and Cheap isn't good "