Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the City of Oshkosh's Private Camp Ground Ordinance?

The important volunteers that did arrive early didn't have any problem. Check the weather first before arrival.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles.

This video is unbelievable !!

A couple more pics.
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

I'm just glad that nobody was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The important volunteers that did arrive early didn't have any problem. Check the weather first before arrival.
    We arrived on Saturday and had to stay in a JCPenny parking lot until Tuesday. EAA doesnt have the funding to turn Scholler into a "proper" campsite, but rather than investing in so many improved sites, they could divert some of this spending into improvements on the roads, perhaps temporary matting that could be put down in wet spots when it rains, or gravel/rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    You know what is kind of interesting.
    I haven't yet heard anybody say, EAA AirVenture 2019 was hit by a once in a 100 years storm.
    So does that mean the next 99 yrs should be clear?

I survived shloshkosh 2010 and 2019. This year I heard that Oshkosh got 5" of rain in short period of time. This turned the camp ground into a muddy mess. I saw a large tractor pulling many stuck RVs to firmer ground. I saw trucks with pumps sucking up water to relocate it. I heard that attempts were made to supply the stranded campers with water and other supplies. In a short period of time we were dealing with dust everywhere. Then the roads were cleaned and treated. Mulch and gravel were used to dry and fill the major bogs. Great job EAA.

I think the calls for improving the campground to the point of being unaffected by this kind of storm would be way past the point of diminishing returns. I've only missed 1 AirVenture since '83, always staying in Scholler, (everything from a tent, to a small motorhome, a VW bus with a camper conversion, to my current preference of a pop-up trailer,) and all but a couple for the whole week. And this is only about the 3rd time it has been significantly affected by the weather. The 2010 and 2019 mentioned in the above post, and the time in the '90's that the whole midwest was under water. Just my opinion, but maybe people just need to stop trying to bring their homes with them, it's camping after all. and even that is only as low cost accommodations for the air show.
    Dave

You should be out there this week for the Pathfinders Camporee! I would say it is about 90% tents covering all of Scholler! Looks like the South African camp on mega steroids!

So you want the Oshkosh city government to force EAA to spend money to improve the campground to some standard so you will feel safe or something?

EAA has made improvements every year. Throwing a bunch of pavement into the hay field that then consumes $$$$ to maintain sounds like a really bad idea. Stuff happens, and EAA dealt with it really well in both 2010 and 2019.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    The other option is, they could do what they did at Woodstock back in 69'.
    Chant - NO RAIN, NO RAIN, NO RAIN, NO RAIN ☮️

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    So you want the Oshkosh city government to force EAA to spend money to improve the campground to some standard so you will feel safe or something?

EAA has made improvements every year. Throwing a bunch of pavement into the hay field that then consumes $$$$ to maintain sounds like a really bad idea. Stuff happens, and EAA dealt with it really well in both 2010 and 2019.
    Very true. In addition, adding pavement decreases land available to absorb water which increases flooding.