I have been flying into Oshkosh, as well as Fon du Lac and flying some of the shows for years. One good thing, almost without exception has been the controllers. First of all they actually sound like they may be having a good day or at least expect to. And that they even, hard as it is to believe, seem to actually like airplanes and even pilots, and that's not the case at many other airports.

The way they give instructions is calm, but if necessary insistent, and sometimes it has to be that way with the large number of planes coming into Oshkosh and the multiple types with often different needs and different pilot abilities. At so many other airports they speak so fast the you don't always catch the meaning, or they become nervous and confrontational. I was listening to a lady at Fisk who wanted a canard type to do a 360 for spacing and repeated it twice and still calm, said "do it right now, give me a right 360 for spacing." They are mostly the same way at the runway when it can be intense when one plane is landing long, the next on the green dot.

I wonder if they do a lot of extra training just for Airventure?