Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kit advice

That’s about it, I would only add that I prefer foldable to removable wings, and I would like docile enough characteristics in order to teach my kids to fly in it. I am also 6’2”, so I need something me headroom. I don’t mind small, just don’t like banging my head. For the most part though, it looks like you nailed it down.

The zenith is looking very very good to me, but not a tail wheel. It is close enough of a fit to what I want that I might sacrifice the tail wheel. (And I would have to sacrifice any attachment to good looks. That airplane ain’t easy on the eyes.)

My bad on the wings — I meant to say folding not removable. Unfortunately I personally don’t have any recommendations on a specific plane, but if there’s anyway you can get to either Sun-Fun or Oshkosh next year to sit in actual airframes before pulling the trigger, that’s what I’d recommend.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinpilot View Post
    Bob,

i was really looking at getting something with a tail wheel, but the zenith looks pretty cool. I need to look at it a bit more. How much have you done on it?
    The wings are complete, minus slats, and have factory fuel tanks, the rudder was the first thing I built. And the elevator and stabilizer are also finished. I really enjoyed the process, sometimes it was head scratching time but for the most part, it's pretty simple, I just ran out of time and kinda lost interest. If I didn't have some pressing home stuff to do, I'd buy the fuselage kit and go on with it. I left the slats off so there are no slat openings in the wing. I talked with a couple of guys at there September Open Hanger several years ago and they had taken theirs off and used V/G on the wing and stabilizer and said it was better. Also, one of them had a Geo Metro engine installed and said it performed like a Rotax 912. If I had something to fly now, I'd finish it.
    Bob

If you don't intend to finish (post 1), then just get some metal and try building something. Or buy some unfinished project. The value of unfinished anything is very low. Deals are out there.

Well, I would prefer to finish, but if I didn’t have much invested then I would be happy with just learning opportunity. That may be an option, just buy some metal and start welding on it...

I really liked working with aluminum, it's amazing what you can do with just a few tools !
    Bob

Let's see if we can distill this down a bit.....

My main goal is to learn and have a fun project.

....I did not have a ton of money invested.

cheap to store

cheap to operate (probably folding wings would be best).

I would prefer tube and fabric construction.

I also want something I could teach my son to fly in one day.

I also would like some off airport ability

My wife says four seats would be nice,

I would be working out of my small 2 car garage.

don’t have any welding or fabrication skills
    Prefer tube and fabric....but no welding skills....cheap to store and operate.....but wife wants four seats....

Uhhhhh, something has to give here....

Perhaps, if the four seat option can be eliminated because that takes you into a far different class of aircraft, a wood aircraft might be your best option. Wood is pleasant to work with, only requires basic shop tools, can be purchased in small and relatively inexpensive quantities, and can be built from either plans or kits. It also gives you the fabric experience without the welding. There are many great wood aircraft available, many with decades of field history. Wood is a great material to share with children, they relate to it (big model airplane!)...and it makes the shop smell nice!

Just be sure you select an aircraft that will accommodate two adult-size occupants....your son won't be a little kid forever. This may be a challenge since many wood aircraft were designed before adults became bubba-sized.

Best wishes, and enjoy the journey!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 08-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Well, I would prefer to finish, but if I didn’t have much invested then I would be happy with just learning opportunity. That may be an option, just buy some metal and start welding on it...
    Today's kit manufactures, using CAD and CNC technology, matched hole assemblies and comprehensive hardware packages have made a large impact on the completion rates of today's home assembled projects while retaining the value of the builder's initial investment. Your average homebuilder would be hard pressed to duplicate the quality and fit of the parts when building from plans, nor would the builder experience any great savings in the process.
    If it's experience you're after you might consider a group build or sign up for a SportAir Workshop or two.
    Good luck in your endeavors.

Thanks for the good info. I agree about nailing down 4 seats or two. Believe it or not, I am more intimidated by wood than learning to weld. I have built with wood and have never been as good as I would like. I view wood working as a true art form. Welding looks like something I would ultimately be better at once learned, plus I have always had this secret itch to learn to weld. I think on he plans built route, I would get plenty of opportunity to work wood making forms and jigs. Though I could be wrong. Again all of the insights are great. I am at a point where if I could nail down 4 seats and commit to the expense, i think the easy choice for me would be a Bearhawk. However, I am really struck by the allure of something smaller that I could keep in my garage and run on auto fuel. These are tougher decisions than I imagined. Luckily I have plenty of time and this great resource to help figure it out.

You might look at the Bearhawk line of airplanes. You can scratch build from plans or buy kits. Or do some combination of both. There is a 4 place, a Patrol which is 2 place tamdom (think Super Cub), and a LSA similar to the Patrol. Great support and great community of builders.