Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious vendors...

Hilarious vendors...

Up front: I do NOT want them turned down next year.

For all the big money vendors that are aviation related, I found some of the smaller ones that had nothing to do with it very entertaining.

The Army-Navy surplus tent was nostalgic to the point of tears; things I was issued while in uniform are now "vintage" or have "era" placed after them. I was a bit misty eyed as I wound my watch.

The woo-woo energy nullification guys were so earnest in their stuff that I had to talk to them, though to be honest I couldn't resist stopping the spiel about how electromagnetic rays cause cancer to enlighten them that the secret is to put a layer of guacamole between the layers of tin foil when fashioning a hat, and everyone can do that at home for a very low cost. Nothing - and I mean nothing - stops the gov't rays like a thick coating of guacamole.

I did find the lack of homemade soap merchants distressing. Perhaps it's a Southern thing, but every event that has vendors down here has at least one woman selling it.

The sticker guy certainly had a political leaning, that's for sure. That was kind of a surprise, and it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't back next year.

I'm not mentioning all of them, naturally, as I kind of whizzed past through there a couple times. What was y'all's favorite non-aviation vendor?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

There's always that guy in the Fly Market with the top hat who has a lot of aviation/military books as well as old pop culture items, signs, toys, things like that. I peruse the merch in case there's a vintage Star Wars item that catches my eye but honestly his prices are way too high. People have internet; they know what things are worth.

The big parts/tools/misc tent is always a must-see as well. Got some bungee cords this year so I could strap my bag chair to the back of my minibike.

Not hilarious, but the one thing I do not miss one bit are the vendors in the big hangars who pester the crap out of you every time you walk past with their non-aviation, late-night-TV-ad junk. Glasses cleaner, gutter shield, jewelry cleaner, all that garbage. If they want to have those places fill up the un-rented booths just to avoid having empty space, great... but I sure do wish they'd be restricted from accosting people as they walk by.

I will make an exception for the Heaven's Landing babes. Just once.

Maybe twice.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

The Continental Tire "technicians" had it over the airpark angels this year.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The Continental Tire "technicians" had it over the airpark angels this year.
    Interesting for sure. But when I asked if they sold aircraft tires, they didn't seem amused. Same thing happens when I shop for Ferraris... Go figure.
    Bryan

Houston

Both my wife and I own and ride Harley's and for us motorcycles and flying go hand -in-hand. There was an Indian dealer this year over near the fly-mart, but I've never seen Harley. Strikes me as odd since it's in Wisconsin and all. I'd love to see a local dealer or the MOCO show up with OSH specific H-D merch.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Both my wife and I own and ride Harley's and for us motorcycles and flying go hand -in-hand. There was an Indian dealer this year over near the fly-mart, but I've never seen Harley. Strikes me as odd since it's in Wisconsin and all. I'd love to see a local dealer or the MOCO show up with OSH specific H-D merch.
    It's been quite a few years, but I seem to recall Fond Du Lac Harley being around the old tower at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    It's been quite a few years, but I seem to recall Fond Du Lac Harley being around the old tower at some point.
    Yep, there used to be a Harley display on the northeast corner of the Knapp/Waukau intersection. It's been quite a few years though.
    Cheers!

Joe

I don’t think he technically qualified as a vendor but I miss the one man band guy. He quit coming a few years back due to his age and health. I think his name was Jerry. Whenever I heard is polka music I knew I back home in Oshkosh.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Jerry Slegar. He was threatening not to return for years, but finally did it when his wife passed.

You can buy his stuff on Amazon.