Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OSH Arrival cut off

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The dumpsters get emptied at 4:15AM. That's my wakeup call.

The problem is there's not really any plane to park people backed up going to the parking/camping areas (there's really not much difference in most places).
    I didn't mean when the airport is filled. I meant the time allowed for entry could be expanded so that less congestion would be encountered later. Also, an early morning arrival is more friendly to vintage with no radio. Actually the NOTAM recomendation is morning for NORDO. It could even revert to CTAF and no radio (tower closed) during 5:00- 7:30am.
    Of course, ground volunteers would be needed.

To Flying Ron......don’t sleep in the dumpsters��������������
    Agreed, that’s a pretty rude and early wake up call.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Of course, what the EAA really did is "TURN NO MONSTER FAT CAT RV BUS DRIVER" away and parked RVs down all over the new south 40 parking area. I suspect this is because it generates no heat with the state police and highway department if you send airplanes away to some distant airport but they won't stand for the interstate being backed up with overflowing rvs.
    Wow. Where's that coming from? The EAA folks did the best they could to handle a non-stop incoming stream of RVs.

The local police didn't stand for public roads being lined with parked RVs, either, and demanded EAA clear 'em out. Many local oshkosh area parking lots were used.

I thought the EAA did a fantastic job dealing the hand mother nature dealt them in Camp Scholler. Why the snark and sarcasm about planes vs RVs? It sure seemed the EAA did as best they could with planes, too, but the airport didn't have lots of temporary holding areas for planes as the surrounding public roads provided (until the po-po cleared 'em out) for RVs.

Got that right mc20.
    That was a monster front that marched across the state. Significant wind damage was done in many areas. Our cabin is 30 miles NW of OSH and got hit about mid morning. We lost power and it wasn’t restored until Wednesday. For a day and a half we could even get into town for all the trees and power lines down on the county highway.
    EAA was lucky that the full brunt of the storms missed the field and had no significant facility damage or to aircraft.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    No matter how you slice it.
    There should be at least an hour intermission between the afternoon & evening acts, to let people eat supper and clean up.
    The way it is now, the afternoon Airshow gets done around 6:30pm ish"
    That gives you about 25 minutes to eat supper & clean-up, before the evening acts start.
    For example: Theater in the Woods and Fun Fly Zone acts start at 7:00pm.

An Airshow that starts at 2:00pm and goes till 6:30pm ish" is a bit long and seems to drags on.
    In years past they wouldn't launch the military jets until the end of the Airshow, keeping people there longer.
    At least this year they launched the military jets earlier in the Airshow, probably because it was the Year of the Fighter.

There was one year when they had food trucks setup on Boeing plaza, so people could power slam junk food before the night Airshow.

Shaving an hour off the afternoon Airshow would not only benefit, the after Airshow arriving aircraft but also give people on the grounds a little time to recoil/reset. And albeit better digestion. Before the evening acts start.

Kinda like the old days when the whole family sat down together and ate supper at 5:30pm.

WF,
    There was at least an hour break, probably closer to 2, on Monday between the afternoon airshow and the Fray band. I know that because the kegs at the nearby unnamed private residence weren't tapped until post airshow so we had plenty of time to pour down a few cold ones, wind our way back to HBC to grab our lawn chairs, then walk to Boeing square for the concert.

P.S.
    I wanna know who planned for the F22 flyby to last through the band's entire first song?

Quote Originally Posted by mc20 View Post
    he EAA did as best they could with planes, too, but the airport didn't have lots of temporary holding areas for planes as the surrounding public roads provided (until the po-po cleared 'em out) for RVs.
    They could have used the aircraft parking for aircraft rather than sending airplanes AWAY in contradiction to their own public policy.

THis is not the EXPERMENTAL MOTOR HOME ASSOCIATION.

They could have used the aircraft parking for aircraft rather than sending airplanes AWAY in contradiction to their own public policy.

THis is not the EXPERMENTAL MOTOR HOME ASSOCIATION.
    I wonder if the RV's parked down there had prepaid for their campsites? Not that I'm OK parking motor homes in aircraft parking locations, but I bet EAA wasn't at all interested in issuing refunds... No bucks, no Buck Rogers, and all of that.

Did you ever run out of spaces in the far south 40? When I was down there some time after Vintage reopened there were 6-8 empty rows before the motor homes.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Did you ever run out of spaces in the far south 40? When I was down there some time after Vintage reopened there were 6-8 empty rows before the motor homes.
    We were closed to arrivals and those were ga rows as well. Ev wa definitely given preference over aircraft.