Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OSH Arrival cut off

I don't think it's so much catering to the campers but to the locals. By having evening activities (and unfortunately beer sales), they increase the attendance and revenues by people by having something to see on weekday evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I don't think it's so much catering to the campers but to the locals. By having evening activities (and unfortunately beer sales), they increase the attendance and revenues by people by having something to see on weekday evenings.
    +1. Locals, ticket purchases.
    Bryan

Houston

I think the airport could open earlier in the morning. It's light by 5:00am, I think, and only gets lighter for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I think the airport could open earlier in the morning. It's light by 5:00am, I think, and only gets lighter for parking.
    Because I want someone taxiing by my tent at 5:30 AM...

Not.

Well, they could park other than camping area for a while. (rather than miss the show for weather or whatever)
    But plenty of vehicles were zooming past my tent at 5:00am (golf carts, dumpster trucks, etc) It is an airport.

Well, they could park other than camping area for a while. (rather than miss the show for weather or whatever)
    But plenty of vehicles were zooming past my tent at 5:00am (golf carts, dumpster trucks, etc) It is an airport.
    I'm all for workarounds that promote more attendance. The challenge is where to put any early arrivals on (say) Tuesday morning when the only open space on the field is the runway...

Well even if you had the manpower to open the field for early arrivals you just know it would be a matter of time before someone would insist on early departures too.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

The goal this year was not to turn any planes away. They opened up another large South 40 section over the winter/spring. 5" in 24 hours from Friday/Saturday was the worst possible time for that to occur. It would have been interesting to see what capacity of planes could have made it in without the rain. Maybe next year.

We fortunately landed Friday morning around 9:30am, and setup in the 6th row of the North 40.

The dumpsters get emptied at 4:15AM. That's my wakeup call.

The problem is there's not really any plane to park people backed up going to the parking/camping areas (there's really not much difference in most places).

Quote Originally Posted by bmckinney View Post
    The goal this year was not to turn any planes away. They opened up another large South 40 section over the winter/spring. 5" in 24 hours from Friday/Saturday was the worst possible time for that to occur. It would have been interesting to see what capacity of planes could have made it in without the rain. Maybe next year.

We fortunately landed Friday morning around 9:30am, and setup in the 6th row of the North 40.
    Actually, the goal was to not turn planes away by 2020. There's still too much improvement needed to be done to the field to open that up this year. Of course, what the EAA really did is "TURN NO MONSTER FAT CAT RV BUS DRIVER" away and parked RVs down all over the new south 40 parking area. I suspect this is because it generates no heat with the state police and highway department if you send airplanes away to some distant airport but they won't stand for the interstate being backed up with overflowing rvs.