Thread: Is the Arrival Notam out of date for the times and weather possibilities!

Is the Arrival Notam out of date for the times and weather possibilities!

Third year in a row when weather played a significant factor for the arrivals. Early in the week every time EAA opened the field the arrival quickly became unmanageable. Just look at the Text messages that were sent out during that time! I did appreciate the communication coming from EAA from the text alerting. However I feel certain we need a third way point out side of Ripon. Maybe 10 miles south west of ripon. And have a second ATC team on the ground at Ripon to. This would help organize the arrivals in to better spacing so by the time you got to FISK you would just sail on in. If you were monitoring the Fisk frequency from say 20 miles out they were trying to do this. And ATC were using ADSB technology to estimate the incoming surge that occurred when the field was opened Monday afternoon. And they could probably see your speed and exact position before you arrived at Fisk to send you around the lake for another try. Seems like having more time prior to Fisk would help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    Third year in a row when weather played a significant factor for the arrivals. Early in the week every time EAA opened the field the arrival quickly became unmanageable. Just look at the Text messages that were sent out during that time! I did appreciate the communication coming from EAA from the text alerting. However I feel certain we need a third way point out side of Ripon. Maybe 10 miles south west of ripon. And have a second ATC team on the ground at Ripon to. This would help organize the arrivals in to better spacing so by the time you got to FISK you would just sail on in. If you were monitoring the Fisk frequency from say 20 miles out they were trying to do this. And ATC were using ADSB technology to estimate the incoming surge that occurred when the field was opened Monday afternoon. And they could probably see your speed and exact position before you arrived at Fisk to send you around the lake for another try. Seems like having more time prior to Fisk would help!
    Where ever you put the gate, you get the backup. I don't see that moving the backup another 10 miles South would be an improvement.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-02-2019 at 08:35 PM.

using ADSB technology to estimate the incoming surge...
    This is going to be interesting, and potentially dangerous. Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking that everyone will need/have ADSB next year. There will be even more pilots with their eyes inside, staring at a screen, while farmer Joe in his Champ becomes invisible. Hopefully next year's notam will make a mention to keep your eyes outside.

We had no trouble. When I got my weather from FSS Sun morning, the lady kept asking me if I had the notam and talking about a reservation. I told her I had the entire Notam booklet and didnt need a reservation to fly in vfr. Never did she mention any flooding or reduced parknig area from the rain before. But I sort of kept her cautiion in the back of my mind, Maybe she thought I was McClelland.
    We had ovenghted in Spencer, Neb, and were almost to the lake on the way to Ripon, about noon and noticed we didnt see other airplanes. The atis explained why due to the flooded parking so we diverted away from Oshkosh, wasnt that inconvenient, nor dangerous..
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-02-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Do you really think a pilot who can't figure out he is too close to the aircraft in front of him in fifteen miles will be able to in twenty-five? That's just ten more miles of wasted fuel, pilot fatigue, and proximity to other aircraft leading to accidents.

I don't think another gate would solve anything, there does need to be a crossing guard for the airplanes in hold. If there are aircraft in the hold at Rush lake they should be waived in before any other arrivals are allowed. There should be someone on the ground at the grain bins turning incoming aircraft away while there are airplanes in a holding pattern.

As long as the economy is strong and weather happens in the first few days, this will always be a problem with no great solution.

If the hold gets activated, it's always been a disaster. Better to go off and park it somewhere until the airport repopens.