Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture and dogs....my "pet" peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Understand part of the flightline is a camping area.
    The long standing policy has been that dogs are allowed in the camping areas "that don't require a wristband." That does not include flightline camping.
    Now that EAA has announced that kids get into AirVenture for free I wonder how many pet owners will identify with their dog as being a "kid?"

Better yet, if I self identify as a kid do I get in for free???
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

The last time I flew commercial I noticed a number of dogs (on a leash) in the concourses. I assume these are the new "emotional support animals" that folks can't travel without. What next? We have a Vacation Rental home in Texas with no smoking/no pets and still get a number of requests to bring their dogs. The answer is "no" by the way.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Vacationing with pets, and bringing your dog to work has been a "thing" for a couple of years or so. More and more hotels/motels accept pets. That said, there is a fee at many locations for bringing a pet. If you have a rental, you might consider that kind of policy as income that offsets the cost.

When my wife has been away I took her Dachshund to my office and everyone who was there thought it was a cute thing. Its hard to be upset about the crisis of the day when there is a little brown dog sniffing your feet. Butters is well behaved and not noisy.

Best of luck,

Wes

No, more hotels are accepting about dogs. Once you move away from dogs, you'll find they are as hostile to pets as they always were.

"Vacationing with pets, and bringing your dog to work has been a "thing" for a couple of years or so. More and more hotels/motels accept pets. That said, there is a fee at many locations for bringing a pet. If you have a rental, you might consider that kind of policy as income that offsets the cost."

We don't live or die financially with our "no smoking/no pet" policy at our VRBO so it pretty much works for us. Guess that's off the Oshkosh subject anyway. Once a dog chews up furniture or decides to use the table leg as a fire hydrant because the owners are unreliable it's a problem.....but back to Oshkosh....
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Per my previous post, "emotional support" animals have no legal status and owners have no right to demand access for them. Regarding airports. Smaller dogs (and other animals people sometimes mistake as pets) are sometimes allowed in the passenger cabin as long as they remain crated and can fit under a seat or they have their own ticketed seat. Owners will typically let them out of their crates before and after flight. That is a lot less expensive and a damn sight safer for the dog than putting it in the hold.

Last time I traveled with my own dogs -- in the baggage compartment -- my wife and I were allowed to retrieve them on the ramp. That was also a good thing for all concerned. many airlines won't handle dogs as large as Rottweilers at all any more. We bring our current set lots of places for socialization (at 9 mos., they are still puppies) and one really likes coming with me to the airport. I have no idea why. I would never, however, bring them to an airshow. When she gets full grown, I might see if I can rent her out as a tug.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Banned
    This is a very interesting topic for pet owners. Thanks for sharing.

The "Service Animal" thing is out of hand. On one Cruise we counted at least 5 dogs on the Cruise Ship. The miniature poodle being pushed around in a baby carriage was definitely not a "Service Dog". Princess Cruise Lines told us that they can't refuse Service Animals. Yes they can. Princess Cruise Lines is NOT a U.S. company and are not subject to U.S. rules.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Umm, maybe not at sea, but if they do business in US ports they are subject to the ADA rules even if they are foreign flagged.