In the guidebook available to AirVenture attendees, under the camping section it clearly states that dogs are not allowed on the AirVenture Convention site proper (those areas requiring a wristband to gain entry.) It does allow, with restrictions, for dogs to be present in the campgrounds. On numerous occasions I saw people walking with dogs on the flightline and other areas of the convention site proper. One dog, a large German Shepard wore a vest that was imprinted with "Service Dog in Training." My gripe is; if it's in training does that mean it's not yet a certified service dog? Is the convention site the proper place to train such an animal. I think not. On other occasions I saw dogs with no markings on their collar or vest indicating they were a service dog. Yet another dog, a Black Lab was dragging his leash. He was a great dog, always on heel and always looking ahead and at his master every few seconds. He wasn't a problem, in fact none of them were BUT if I saw five dogs this year then so did thousands of other attendees. That means next year some of those folks will bring their dog and instead of five dogs it will be twenty-five dogs in 2020 and fifty dogs in 2021 unless EAA strictly enforces the no dog policy.
In every instance where an person had a dog with them they were also accompanied by family or friends. That begs I ask the question whether that "service dog" was a necessity or not.
I can go with a certified service animal, provided the owner presents proper credentials to EAA prior to entering the convention grounds and the animal has been issued a special access permit to be attached somewhere on the collar, vest or leash visible to the general public. That should satisfy the lawyers.
As for Comfort animals, one of the more abused terms for a pet, they can stay home or be left in the campgrounds if you ask me.
Don't even get me started about the guy with a parrot on his shoulder walking around the flightline.
Some folks may decide to not attend AirVenture if they can no longer bring their pet onto the convention site but I doubt their numbers would even make a blip on EAA's radar. If Security personal are diligent enough to search backpacks and packages brought onto the convention site then they should have no problem spotting a hairy, four legged creature on the end of a leash and turn them around and off the convention site proper.
And yes, I'm a pet owner myself and love my dog as much as anyone else loves theirs.